Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

computer in a coma

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have an emachines w2047, with xp. i am going to give a series event that i have no idea if they are related or not. first, 2 days ago, my computer lost its network connection while it was in use. after restarting a couple of times, it worked again. the following morning, i lost my network connection again. after some effort, i got it back. then last night, the computer lost the internet connection while i was using it. i tried to restart, and it froze up in the middle of booting up. i kept trying to reboot, and eventually got the BSOD. the error said something about NV_4. (unfortunately, i did not write this one down) i tried to do a system restore, but it froze in the middle of it. when i got up this morning, i tried starting it a few times. sometimes, it would seem to boot up, never with a network connection, then i got the BSOD again. this time, the error was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. i got this error a couple of times in between it almost booting, then it would not even start. when i turn it on, the fans cut on, and the yellow standby light comes on, but it never goes any further. now, that is where it's at, in a coma, or on its deathbed.
any suggestions on what to do? is there a way to retrieve all my photographs that are on the hard drive?

Edited by cyndromeda, 08 November 2006 - 11:36 AM.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Here are a few things to consider before you self-destruct...

Age of system?
Age of hard drive?
Used Hard Drive Mechanic to test drive?
Recent updates?, drivers etc.?
Maintenance routine, schedule and item processes?
Network on Wi-Fi? uninstalled and reinstalled?
Tested hard drive?
Tested memory sticks?
Defrag and chkdsk?
Complete malware and anti-virus scan, sweep, and clean-up?
Registry cleaned and defragged?
sfc_/scannow testing?

All that being said, ...do you have the MS downloadable program to make the setup disks for a floppie install? - you will need 6 floppies. AVG has the same set of disks in their proprietary format.

Tried to reinstall XP over the old version, but not killing the other system files?

Tried to use a variety of hard drive recovery programs...?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
the system is three years old. the general consensus has been that it was the motherboard, which apparently these computers are notorious for. the computer does not turn on, just the fans. i am just going to put the hard drive in this computer so that i can retrieve my photos.