Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HD, & ram,OS was working fine, now can't boot up

• Please log in to reply

Darlena

Darlena

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi there,

Working on a os for my daughter. System was completely dead. Replaced hard drive and added more ram. Did a fresh winows xp install, downlaod all the drivers for the onboard audio and everything was working fine. It's a MSI system (By the way) . Have not touched it for aboout a week and now it won't boot up at All! The cd-rom lights up and the fan spins, but there are no beeps, nothing at all. I've removed and reset the ram, still nothing. I'm now wondering if its the power supply or may just a bad mother board?
What do you suggest?

Darlene

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you don't get any beeps and don't see anything on the screen then my money is on the power supply is dead or dying...do you have access to another that you can test sytem with...needs to be as many or more watts than the one already installed....

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have a few old os i use for parts mostly, but i'm not sure if i've got one with enough wattage. i'll have to check out my spare parts or temp
borrow one from one of my OS that actually works. Let you know as soon as i get the time to check it out. Thanks!
Darlene

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sounds like motherboard, since the fans turns it is unlike to be powersupply but what about motherboard battery, what about dry air cleaning too.

If you want to test you powersupply with a paperclip, in order to rule it out as a possible cause of the problem, disconnect all the leads, the one to the wall too, bend a paperclip into a U shape, look at the lead that goes from the power supply to the motherboard (ATX PSU's 20-pin motherboard connector), see the green wire line in hole and the black wire line in hole, put the paperclip ends in those holes(green and black) replug mains to the wall, switch on computer.

http://www.techarp.c...rtno=268&pgno=0

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi again,

I tried the paperlip thing but I don't think my problem is the power supply. The fan on it is working and a fan on the m otherboard is also working. I removed both ram sticks and got a long beep when I tried to boot up. Does this indicate the motherboard is OK? It does have a lot of dust in it also. I'm not real familiar with the cpu, is that possibly whats bad?

Darlene

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you see anything at all on the screen when you try to boot...like you bios locating the hardware connected to the mobo...Hd ..CD drive ect...do you hear any beeps...it's extremely difficult to diagnose withhout all the information...and slow if we only get a piece at a time...info that you dont think is important is posibably a clue to those of us that work on computers all the time...so give us everything you know for sure or have observed. ...

Edited by happyrck, 09 November 2006 - 07:45 AM.

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
:whistling: See my first post, no beeps, nothing,as in nothing on screen either. Actually the monitor lights is green then it clicks and turns yellow like its turned off. Am I making any sense here? I'm sorry for being unclear as I've never had this type of problem before and I'm just guessing at whats wrong.

THanks for your help and patience.

Darlene

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
dead computer check list
-----------------------------
meaning no reaction whatsoever when pressing the on button
btw ditto = 'connect computer to the mains, switch the computer on, if no joy do the following'

the steps then
(use normal keyboard and mouse)
(important, if unsure, download and read the motherboard's manual)
- check that the plug on the wall is switch on and the computer's powersupply cable is plugged in
(ditto)
- powersupply, disconnect power supply cable from the computer the reconnect it,
(ditto)
- swap the power supply cable for another
(ditto)
- open computer and swap the power switch or disconnect it and jump the pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver, the jump takes a split second to do
(ditto)
- reseat the ram bars, swap with working ones
(ditto)
- disconnect cdrom drives, usb stuff, etc., only leave harddrive connected
(ditto)
- swap hard drive
(ditto)
that leaves only the motherboard or the processor and the question of which, and whether it's worth getting new ones

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have onboard video or a AGP video card...if you have both ...swap the connector...if only the AGP card can you borrow one and swap them..

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi there,

Ok, I've been able to access the hd as a slave drive on another os. i have power as I have lights and fans and the cd-rom will open. It only has on board video and I get no beeps now at all, so I'm guessing it's the mb or processor like you said. Is there anyway to determine which or do i just replace both? I'm trying to find a similar mb and have one in mind. It's listed as a mb/cpu/vga/set . Does this mean I'm getting everything I need? I've never had to do this before and I want to make sure I get everything I need. Any advise we very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Darlena

Edited by Darlena, 11 November 2006 - 11:14 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
do you have a local repair shop handy, if it were a part of the system I would suggest replacing the mb/processor yourself but this is the head of the octopus, everthing gets reconnected here so best have them do it, now let them choose the mb/processor but tell us what they suggest to reconfirm that their choose is sure, because on this site we cannot see your parts only the rough outline you give us (except if the model is stardard)

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi again,

I'm gonna give this a try by myself, as my daughter can't afford the repairs. I've ordered a similar made mb (new), same ram, etc. Let you know if I succeed or crash and burn! Ha ha, I've done alot of work for friends, but this will be the big one. let you know how I do.

later

darlena

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Have you tryed resetting the CMOS i had that problem reset the CMOS and it was fine.