Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connection Issue

• Please log in to reply

StormTrooper

StormTrooper

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am having problems with my wireless router.

Details:
I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I have a DLink Wireless Router,(DI-524); The desktop PC is connected to the router via USB connection using an 'extender';(not directly connected). I'm also running AOL reluntantly, for my wife

The desktop cannot seem to connect to the router. This all worked at one time and now does not. I do see the neighbors unsecured Linksys router when I View Wireless Networks with a Low signal however I do not see my DLink. I have deinstalled/reinstalled the DLink Router software driver a few times to no avail. The Dlink Network Setup Utility icon has an X through it and when I double click it, it seems to say that the driver is not installed. I have deinstalled AOL and reinstalled the Dlink software and reinstalled AOL to no avail.

I have a laptop with an wireless router card that sees the Dlink router and connects fine. Any ideas?
TIA

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello StormTrooper and welcome to G2G,

via USB connection using an 'extender';(not directly connected).

What is the extender that your referring to... is it just an adapter to combine two usb cables or is it an adapter that turns usb into ethernet?

I do see the neighbors unsecured Linksys router when I View Wireless Networks with a Low signal however I do not see my DLink

Are you trying to use a Physical Wired USB connection or are you trying to use a wireless card/adapter?

Please answer these additional questions to get us started:

1. What is the manufacturer and model number of the wireless card/adapter in your desktop... not the one that works in your laptop?

2. What Type of internet connection do you have (Dial-up, DSL, Cable)?

3. What type of IP Scheme are you using (Auto, Static, PPOE)?

Lastly check one thing for me: Click on Start -> Run -> Type in: devmgmt.msc and press the Ok button -> expand all the Categories by clicking each "+" sign next to the devices -> after this is performed check all entries and see if any of them have a Red "X" or Yellow "!" on any of the devices. If there are any of these, please list what the device is?

StormTrooper

StormTrooper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, Thanks for answering my request. The extender is a D-Link AirPlus G USB Adapter (DWL-G122). It is a 802.11g/2.4ghz Wireless Adapter. It provides wireless access to the D-Link router,(DI-524), so I guess it is an adapter that turns USB into ethernet.

This is a cable modem connection over IP with AUTO.

From the mscdev.msc command the one device that isn't recognized is the USB device. The instance id is USB\\VID_2001&PID_3704\5%F058105&0&3

Not to sound dumb but how can I determine the wireless card/adapter in my desktop?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

how can I determine the wireless card/adapter in my desktop?

You already answered it here:

The extender is a D-Link AirPlus G USB Adapter (DWL-G122)

and here are the drivers you need to install for it:
DWL-G122 Drivers

so I guess it is an adapter that turns USB into ethernet.

Not really... it is just a wirless usb receiver. when I said ethernet I was referring to Cat5 like this:
Cat 5 Picture

After the new drivers are downloadedand installed, check for connectivity to the net.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 08 November 2006 - 08:10 PM.

StormTrooper

StormTrooper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the drivers SpaceCowboy. I did have the original CD that came with the USB Adapter that had the drivers on it. I downloaded and installed the drivers that you recommended but this didn't help me. I'm not sure but I was looking at the post from Lachie started on October 27, 2006 that you helped with. I'm wondering if I have something similar here. After I download the drivers and reboot the PC, in the bottom right on the task bar where the Dlink Status bars are I have an X through it. If I double click the icon I get the Dlink utility to start for a second and then it ends. What I see displayed is the first page of a Welcome screen and the Status says "driver not loaded". Now this is after I have already loaded the drivers.

Also, I don't seem to be seeing any lights on the USB Adapter, (identified earlier), that is connected to the desktop. Strange. Could McAfee be causing me grieve here??

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If you're not seeing any lights on the USB adapter, it's probably fried. Try connecting it and installing it on another computer, and see if you can replicate the issue?

You might just need to change the channel on the dlink router as well, it could just be an interference issue.

StormTrooper

StormTrooper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Kurenai, you may be onto something here. I just tried the USB adapter in my laptop; N.G. I'm going to verify again tomorrow on a different PC but this may be the issue. I'll update this post when I know more information. Thanks.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Kurenai is right about the lights not working on defective hardware... but the lights wont come on if the Adapter has incorrect or corrupted drivers or drivers that were loaded incorerectly as well. Another thing to look at is uninstalling the dlink software and try using windows' built in WZC. More often than not WZC is running in the background along with the D-link config utility and the two can clash... causing the exact problems you are experiencing. If you dont want to uninstall the D-Link utility then try disabling WZC...

StormTrooper

StormTrooper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks SpaceCowboy, WZC :whistling: Do you mean Add/Remove Programs??

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
WZC is the Wireless Zero Config. There's a quick and easy way to figure out if it's dead hardware though. Plug it into a computer, any computer, in a known good USB port. If you get the windows double tone that signifies that a USB device has been plugged in, it's no absolutely dead. If you don't, it's gone.

StormTrooper

StormTrooper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Boy do I feel dumb. :whistling: I found out that the drivers that I was loading were for the PCI Card in my laptop not the USB Adapter that I need. Wrong CD. Oh well, I dug around and found the correct CD with the drivers on it. Now, my CD reader doesn't want to read the CD!!!! I tried some other CD's and they seemed to read but now they don't read either. Ughhhh!! I think that what I may try and do is buy a Flash storage device tomorrow and back up the drivers that SpaceCowboy sent me to that and try and install it that way on my desktop. It hasn't been a good night so far... :blink:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Keep me posted stormtrooper. I generally stop watching a thread after 4 days of no replies... if you post and i dont answer (that Day), then just pm me with a link to your thread.

StormTrooper

StormTrooper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks to all who corresponded with me on this issue, especially SpaceCowboy. I was able to read the CD on my laptop so I copied it to a Flash Storage Device that I bought and installed it on the desktop from there. It worked fine. Drivers loaded successfully. Now the network is recognized but says "Limited or No Availability". I think that it is a location issue with the router now, although the laptop works fine from anywhere. :whistling: Maybe because it is a better PCI card. Thanks for everyone's help. I think that I can take it from here. I'm sure we'll be in touch again.