Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programs shutting down unexpectedly

• Please log in to reply

weeping butterfly

weeping butterfly

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok im sorry if Im in the wrong forum but I am kinda new to this stuff. I have been having problems with my computer lately...the biggest one being several of my programs shut down when im in the middle of something and then i get this message that says microsoft has prepared a report of the problem do i want to send it...i click yes thinking ill get some kind of solution...which i dont...so now i check on the microsoft website and find nothing there..please help me...why am i getting these all the time and how can i make them stop.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When you get these errors you need to click on the details and find out where the errors are coming from. Please write down some of the details and post them here. Since it is in more than one program we need to know if these are the windows programs that come with the computer or with installed programs you put on the computer.

Most of the times if more than one program gets error messages and close down, it is memory errors that are causing the problem. If you can try downloading Memtest86 and run it to see if the memory is the problem. Please read the memtest webpage carefully to use the program correctly.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Memtest does not need your computer operating system to be running to work. It runs off a floppy disk or a bootable cdrom you make. It is a stand alone program.

Please post your results here. Also any information you can give us on your computer would be helpful.

SRX660

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
SRX660: isn't memtest to test the memory 'retainability' of the chip across a variety of tests rather than simple capacity? I'm learning too.

May I suggest, that if a memory stick it acting up, all sorts of odd-ball probs will occur, that make no sense at all...not just a couple progs breaking up and stopping...but I am open to correction...

Suggest that we look at a fast mem-cleaner first, then check and enlarge the caches...check to see what the size of the pagefile.sys file is, and if it is fast approaching 1GB, then clean it out, on reboot, if it is not set to do so already.

Try not to have more than what is absolutely necessary running in the back ground at any one time...and whatever progs you do have running, keep the resource demand low...progs that take whomping big gulps of resources are going to have to get them from somewhere and the progs you are running may, themselves be the culprit... :whistling:

weeping butterfly

weeping butterfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok well...thanks for the advice guys but it looks like there is a more serious problem at hand. first let me say that my computer is brand new so i dont think its a memory thing. i contacted dell and they are going to reformat my hard drive and reinstall all my software...i still dont know what caused the problem in the first place but thanks to everyone who tried to help...i will definatly come back if continue to have problems