Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DDE server error message

• Please log in to reply

Aimee

Aimee

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have a brand new Dell, running XP Pro...ever since I first shut it down, it now always has an error message pop up that says "DDE server not responding" with the usual option to end or wait. If you don't hit "end" it will prevent the pc from shutting down, and it'll just sit there.

I was online with Dell support ALL DAY a couple days ago, and they finally came to the conclusion that I'd have to reformat. Since I've already installed various other programs and things I want and don't want to have to reinstall...I'm wondering if I y'all know SOME way to fix this without reformatting. I don't even know what the DDE server is.

I posted this once before about 2 months ago, but no one has replied at all...???? Please help!

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
from start go to control panel right click on add/remove programs and see if you see this

Dynamic Data Exchange or DDE server

if you do remove it from there

then open my computer and open c-drive look in program files and delete the DDE folder

Aimee

Aimee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
But is it something I need? What will happen if I remove it?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
give this a try

start ...run... type in... services.msc ..click ok

then click on alerter and start if it is disabled or if it is started then disable it

Edited by rushin1nd, 08 November 2006 - 01:46 PM.

Aimee

Aimee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK, I did that...it was disabled, so I set it to "Auto" (the other choice was manual). Now what?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try shutting down and see if your computer still hangs

Aimee

Aimee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I did what you said in enabling the alerter...and it still hangs up...but not every time...Just like before...it had become intermittent.