Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed a new fan to video card but comp freezes now

• Please log in to reply

choogler

choogler

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
So just recently I noticed that the quality at which games where rendered had gone down. Things like little white dots and weird misplacings of objects in games started to happen.

So went to make sure everything was in order and the fan on the grafics card was not moving. Went and got a new fan installed it. Turned on computer and get a screen saying windows is haveing trouble starting up. It give a few options to start up in safe mode, use last known good configuration, or start up normally. I choose start up normally and it starts up. a minute or 2 later the mouse freezes along with the entire display. So powered down cause I had no other option and wait a minute and power it up again. Same message, I choose to start up in safe mode. It starts up and about a minute later the display goes funky where I move the mouse arrow then freezes. I said crap and left it alone for a bit and went to work.

Then this mourn I try to take a look at it and start it up. Starts up without any message and gets to the desktop. No freeze this time but the monitor goes into sleep mode it looks like. Not sure what is going on but it is doing something different each time i turn the thing on. Sometimes it will ask if I wanna start normally or in safe mode and sometimes it wont. Sometimes it freezes and sometimes the monitor will turn off or go into sleep mode.

Anyhelp is much appciated

Trevor

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
looks like your video card is going south....it's possible that it was running without the fan long enough to fry it...there's also a posibility that you didn't replace the fan correctly...how did you go about replacing the fan and what make and model grafics card is it?

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The card is a ATI Radeon 9800pro. I followed the instructions and got the right fan. The only issue is that the fan plugs through an adapter that came with it through the back end of the card where I plug my Power supply into it. The old fan pluged into a 2 pronged thing on the card itself. Could the monotor turning off mean that the card is just giving up. I mean I hope it is just the card cause that is a lot easyier to replace. but I dont want to go buy a new one.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the symptoms sound to me like the card is going bad...it's possible that the new fan is somehow interfearing...but...i wouldn't think so..

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
So my options a slim, get a new or find a grafics card I can test it with?

Oh also how would I go about replaceing the card when the compis in this condition with the drivers and all that installed?

Edited by choogler, 08 November 2006 - 04:01 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah pretty much...unless your motherboard has onboard graphix too...if it's got onboard you could try using that instead

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Its a dell 4500, dont see anywhere else where I could plug in the monitor. Ok looks like I just get a new card.

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi, If my Video card was bad, are there any dangers of lesting it on another system the is still good and in use. My roommate has a comp but I dont want to ruin his too.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
any time you open the case...there's danger....if the card is VERY messed up it could damage the other motherboard....it's usually not advisable (though you will see the advice given) to put suspected bad hardware into known good hardware....BUT...you could try it..i just can't promise you that it WONT mess something up

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah I deciced not to, just going to go buy a cheepee card just to test the comp to see if I have a bigger problem. Wouldn't have to if Dell would have put another place to plug in the monitor.

Thanks

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
back to original topic poster, those little white dots and poor quality video are your cards signals that it is dying. the monitor shut offs mean your card is freezing up, if it is still on warrany time to get it swapped for a new one

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Awesome thanks for that info, Saddly the warrenty is up. Ordered a new card the other day and is should arrive this weekend.