Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using AOL but not using AOL? Need some help?

• Please log in to reply

mwe1969

mwe1969

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi to everyone and thanks to you who will give me some advice on how and if i can do this. Simply, i have aol as a isp but i no longer want to use there software(browser,connecitvity,ect). can i have aol as a isp but use IE as my browser and have my computer connect to aol without aols connectivity app. the reason is im having trouble with disconnects and problems using aol and IE. if anyone can tell me how to do this by a easy step by step instruction (because im no wizard at the computer) i would really appreciate it. thanks so much......

mwe1969

Edited by mwe1969, 08 November 2006 - 04:21 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It should be possible, but bear in mind AOL won't offer technical support because they're awkward like that.

Try this, assuming broadband, but it should also work for dial-up:
http://paler.com/for...message_id=4438

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are you using Dial-Up or Broadband? If your using broadband, you can uninstall AOL. If not, your gonna have to use their software. You used to be able to just dial their access numbers without their software but I believe they fixed that.

mwe1969

mwe1969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Cilix,
i have dial up. how sure are you about aol fixing it where you cant do this?

thanks
mwe1969

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
As far as I know, if you have AOL for dialup, you're stuck using their program to dial to the service.