Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Troubles Revisited

• Please log in to reply

Redlazer

Redlazer

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Greetings again!

I come to you this time asking for help installing Windows XP Pro SP2 Student Edition on a SATA HDD.

I am using a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939 motherboard, which uses the nForce3 Chipset.

When i attempt to install Windows, it says that there are no hard drives installed. I went online and got the drivers that i think are the correct ones and put them on a floppy, and pressed F2 when setup started. It found the drivers on the floppy, but still did not see the hard drives and the install failed.

The drives are ok - i have succesfully installed Kubuntu Linux on the drive i originally intended to put Windows on, however there is enough space left for Windows, and i could also certainly erase Kubuntu with no quarrels.

So, what can i do from here?

-Red

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to press F6 when prompted and select to load the drivers from the floppy, then it should see the drive. F2 is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Ah, then i did inded press F6. I went through the process to use the drivers on the floppy - i just got my F's confused.

F2 is the recovery console, no?

And as of right now, i have managed to get the SATA drives detected by setup, it appears as if there are no OS'es at all on the computer - which is rather distressing, as i do not understand how i could install an OS on a disk, and then it magically vanis before my very eyes.

Although, i have my hunches that it involves the MBR, but thats such an ethereal, magical entity that i may as well blame it on God.

Any ideas?

-Red

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The XP setup CD will not recognise that there is a Linux installation on the computer usually because its formatted in such a way that Windows does not recognise it.

You should be able to rip the partitions out, make new ones and then format them all from the XP CD.