Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop battery will not charge

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have a Gateway Solo 5300. I have a poblem with the battery. The light on the font of the laptop shows that the battery is charging. But the % chaged never leaves off of 0%. The meter in the power options shows 0% charged. I also have a Red Line though the #1 battery (I think the attachment is below if it worked) This is in the meter tab of the power options. Does anyone know what this means?

Edited by duley3, 08 November 2006 - 04:45 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Maybe you should try replacing the battery?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I didn't want to spend 100+ bucks and this not be the problem.

I have on the bottom of the battery a test button with lights numbered 25 50 75 100. When I push the button nothing lights up.

But, I took the cover off the battery (being very careful) and tested at the cells (still contacted together) I had 4.57volts. But at the pos. and neg where it plugs to the laptop (circut board in the battery) I had nothing.

Could the board on the battery be bad?

I have read somewhere that you can reset the board somehow. But I can't find anything about it now.

Does this sound possible?
How do you reset them?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried removing and reinstalling the batterey

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. There should also be a battery lock switch on the bottom of the computer to keep the battery in place. Make sure that it's locked, and that the battery has a nice and secure fit.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Hi. There should also be a battery lock switch on the bottom of the computer to keep the battery in place. Make sure that it's locked, and that the battery has a nice and secure fit.

he said he used a tester on the prongs of the batterys connecter and shows no voltage, but when he connects to the cells its fine

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

have you tried removing and reinstalling the batterey

Many times..

Battery locks in fine and fit fine

he said he used a tester on the prongs of the batterys connecter and shows no voltage, but when he connects to the cells its fine

I think some people just skim though the post then reply. I'm bad for this as well. Some times someone will give me an answer and I never see it....oops
But yes, I have voltage (4.57) at the cells but not at the part where it connects to the laptop.