Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring VHS, S-Vhs and Hi8mm to DVD

• Please log in to reply

barnie1528

barnie1528

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

Hope you guys can help.

I have a Dell Dimensions PC with an Intel Pentium D processor 820 (2.80Ghz, 800mHz FSB, 2 x 1MB cache), whatever that means.

I have a single 256MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 7800 graphics card and my sound card is a "Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1.

I have years of VHS, S-VHS and Hi8mm analogue footage which I would very much like to convert to a format on my PC that I could convert to digital and save to a DVD for posterity.

This subject has caused a lot of confusion and I would appreciate if someone could provide me with a relatively plain and simple answer, or indeed point me to a tutorial link which would enlighten me.

Advertisements

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I personally know very little about how to do this but this looked like it might help. http://www.pcworld.c...,1/article.html

barnie1528

barnie1528

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Many Thanks for your help, I will look at the options

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
you could try a video capture card, but be aware that transfering the files to your pc for conversion will take up a lot of space (i believe its more than 60gb per hour of vhs),

also the conversion/transcoding will take up a lot of cpu and you will need the codecs installed,

another option might be to connect a dvd recorder to your vhs player and transfer that way

Ayana

Ayana

• Pip
  • 1 posts
VHS to Computer Transfer is a special separate that enables you to capture video from any video capture device connected to your computer. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Ayana

That looks to be a great program and from the guides I quickly looked at, easy to use.

For those following this thread: Any time you try to capture video, edit video, and record to DVD, it will chew up ram and the processor. You will also need a lot of storage for the file.