Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd hard drive

• Please log in to reply

titan7342

titan7342

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi everybody,

I am hoping a few people can give me some input on the best way to install a 2nd hard drive. I want to use the drive to store photos, video that I plan to edit and music of course. This will most likely be the extent of it's use. So a few questions I have ( a few of these are probably just stupid questions but I want to be clear on everything so please bare with me).

1. When I add the 2nd drive do I have to install an OS on that drive even though it will be mainly for storage?

2. What kind of settings on my CPU do I need to add this 2nd drive for use like this?

3. Any suggestions on hard drives, software or anything else that might make this upgrade more beneficial to me.

4. any other suggestions or input that I need to know before I start.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

1. When I add the 2nd drive do I have to install an OS on that drive even though it will be mainly for storage

No

2. What kind of settings on my CPU do I need to add this 2nd drive for use like this?

None, the bios will automatically recognize and set it up you will however have to format the drive with software that comes with it or if its a OEM drive then you can download from the manufactuers website.

3. Any suggestions on hard drives, software or anything else that might make this upgrade more beneficial to me

I like Maxtor or Western digital and as you are using it for video bigger is better but at the very least a 120Gb.

4. any other suggestions or input that I need to know before I start.

If you order a OEM drive you will have to download the instructions and format software from the manufactuers website, you will also receive the drive only so you will need mounting screws. You should not need a cable because you can connect it to the cable the existing hdd is on. With this configuration you will have to make sure the jumper on the new drive is set to slave and the jumper on the existing drive is set to master it could be set to CS (cable select)

If you follow the manufactuers instructions all will be fine.

Rick