Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't start

• Please log in to reply

Poejoe623

Poejoe623

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am fairly new at this so I appologize in advance! I had a computer in storage, it's a fairly new computer. Only about 3-4 yrs old. (I guess it's old considering the advances in technology!) It's an emachine with pent. processor, 512mb ram, yada yada... Ok, I hooked it all up last night and it came on with a series of beeps. My husband turned it off and turned it back on again. It beeped again so he turned it off the move it. (the fan wasn't working when he turned it on). Now it won't even turn on at all. I've changed plugs, air dusted it inside and out and it still will not turn on. When I used to use it everyday, I had to set up another fan outside the computer because it would overheat and shut off. I'm guessing the fan is broke and I need another one, but I wanted maybe other options so I will have an idea of what I'm dealing with. I would appreciate any imput!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. When the computer won't turn on, that's usually caused by either a dead power supply or motherboard. Was this storage unit climate controlled?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if the cpu fan was the one thats not working then the cpu can overheat in seonds and it wont boot...if its the power supply fan thats not working then the PSU is probably dead or dying...

Poejoe623

Poejoe623

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, unfortunatly it wasn't climate controlled. I was able to get the series of beeps when it comes on. It's the short 1-3-3-1 beeps. Not sure what that means though! Thanks for your help!

Edited by Poejoe623, 23 November 2006 - 10:32 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello poejoe623,

Check this link
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

It has a whole different list of beep codes for your motherboard, and I believe your beeps are on there. Check it out

Best of luck!
Yield22