Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Thumb drive problem

• Please log in to reply

Wapred0203

Wapred0203

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought a thumb drive a few months ago and the other day i went to plug it in and nothing happens, its not detected or anything. It just sits there. I'm wondering if there is some way that i can pull information off of it some how? If at all possible. Have some important info i dont want to loose! I'm running xp and other usb devices are able to detect. Just not the thumb drive on ANY computer. :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have been interested in doing this for a year now. A year ago i threw away a new flash drive because i could not get it to work. Since then i have been looking into recovery software for flash drives and found this freeware.

http://www.newfreedo...h-Recovery.html

I have not tried this software since i have not had a problem usb drive since then. So you are at your own risk if it does not work on your drive.

There are other recovery software you can purchase for around $40 but i have not tried any as yet.

http://www.shareware...load_31768.html

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 09 November 2006 - 05:48 PM.

Wapred0203

Wapred0203

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
awww bummer! I downloaded it, and it couldnt even find my thumb drive. *sigh* thanks anyways! :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have heard of problems with flash drives being damaged when they are being written to and removed before finishing the write...did this happen to you...

Wapred0203

Wapred0203

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Wow...hmmm i dont think so. I never take it out before the write is complete. But that has me thinking. On one of the computers i put it on at school, when i go to safely remove it, the computer has restrictions so i cant safely remove it i have to just pull it. Could that have damaged it?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I never use that 'safely remove' utility. I just pull it off. So far no problems. But I do use an adapter and cable and have it connected to a usb port on the back. Sounds like yours got zapped somehow.....

Wapred0203

Wapred0203

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sounds like i should just give up on it. Thanks for the help anyways guys! Much appreciated :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I never use that 'safely remove' utility. I just pull it off. So far no problems. But I do use an adapter and cable and have it connected to a usb port on the back. Sounds like yours got zapped somehow.....

I just remove mine also...BUT I know that its not being written to when I do it.....