Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox not opening files, straight to download

• Please log in to reply

jazzman

jazzman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I love my Firefox browser but last week it started "saving to file" files that used to open in the browser. (ie...PDF files, Wav files..etc)

I checked the Options in Tools and it shows that all the files are enabled to open in the browser yet it is not happening?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

squirly

squirly

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I really liked fire fox and i was having the same problem as you. On some sights it gave me things to download because it recognized it as a netscape! So know im back on to inernet explorer and i hate it.... :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I checked the Options in Tools and it shows that all the files are enabled to open in the browser yet it is not happening?

View Post

I take it that you mean you checked Tools>Options>Downloads and found under "File Types" all the files listed with an associated application to use to open them? And you clicked on each file and then clicked on the button "Change Action..." to make sure each was selected to be used as the default app to open file type? A PDF file will open in the default application. , for example, so make sure this app can be loaded ok.

Only a few extensions will open in the browsers and then only if selected to do so in some cases.

Ron