Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Touch pad too sensitive

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have a solo 5300 (gateway). The touch pad for the point is way to sensitive for my wife to use right. When she gets going on it she is just clicking all over the place. This is really kinda funny for me. But she doesn't think it so funny. I have told her many time you not touch it so hard. But she just cann't really get the hang of it. She can move the pointer just fine. It's the click part of it. If she hits the pad too hard when moving the pointer then she is clicking it.

So my question is

Is there anyway to make the pad so the click part is not so sensitive? Or make it so the click part is not used by the pad and only the buttons below the pad.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
click start > settings > control panel > there will either be a specific icon for your touchpad...or the touch pad settings will be bundled with the mouse settings (this second option is more likely) from there you should be able to set the sensitivity or turn the click off or whatever you need to do

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

(this second option is more likely)

I have neither option. It is not with the mouse controls or have it's own icon.

Any other ideas? :whistling:

Edited by duley3, 09 November 2006 - 01:15 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in the bottom right near the clock...is there an icon that looks like a little touchpad? or something that if you hover your mouse over...says something about the touchpad?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
No Touchpad Icon on the tool tray either..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.gatew.../00000124.shtml from gateway...are you sure that in control panel there was nothing that said mouse?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Sometimes laptop touchpad controls hide in "Accessibility" in the Control Panel...just a thought. One other idea- get her a usb mouse and she can ignore the touchpad.
Johanna
(I love my laptop, but if I had to actually do any "work" on it, I would go crazy between using the touchpad and having no number pad on the side.)

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

are you sure that in control panel there was nothing that said mouse?

Yes, I do have a mouse in the control panel. But there is nothing about the touchpad in with the controls for the mouse. All I have is Buttons, pointer, pointer options and hardware tabs. I have looked in all of these tabs and still found nothing about the touch pad.

Could it be a setting in the Bios?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
*dsenette thinks johanna is following him around

....weird...did this laptop come with XP or did you switch to xp from 2000?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Just a little back ground on this sytem.
The laptop was given to me from my boss. He had windows ME in it and had our I T guy put windows XP Pro in it before he gave it to me. I just checked in the Bios and I didn't see anything about the touchpad in there. But I did notice that there is a option for what OS I'm running. Which shows all windows OS. but not xp. It also has a place to select other OS. Could this have something to do with it?

I just checked the gateway site for an updated version of the bios. I have version 22.07 (is all it said). There was an updated one, version 22.10.05 (think is what it said). I'm going to download it but not install it until I hear back from STAFF here. Only because I'm unsure if I should install it or not.

Then after that we can go from there.

Edited by duley3, 09 November 2006 - 03:23 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the reason i asked..is because according to the gateway driver website...the drivers for that touchpad are NOT XP compatible...which would explain the lack of settings choices...what probably has happened is that XP has applied the XP default touch pad driver (which...isn't configurable to my knowledge) to the device so that it can still function...but...doesn't allow for configuration....IF the driver were XP compatible...i'd just tell you to update the driver...which would get those settings back...HOWEVER...with them claiming to NOT (it actually said that my os wasn't supported when i tried to check the file itself) be compatiible AT all with XP..i would NOT advise that...

i think the usb mouse option is your best bet here...

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay, what do you think about the Bios?

From my last post

gateway site for an updated version of the bios. I have version 22.07 (is all it said). There was an updated one, version 22.10.05

Should i update anyway? or not really?

Also what would happen if I tried the other drivers for the pad? Could I restore the system if something happened?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...i usually don't update the BIOS on a system unless i know it's going to fix an issue that i'm having...it's EXTREMELY hard if not impossible to go back to the old version...i don't personally think that the bios update would solve the issue...

you could in theory try the drivers from gateway for the touchpad...but...i personally don't suggest it...since they are saying they aren't XP compatible...they've probably tried it and seen that it doesn't work

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

...i usually don't update the BIOS on a system unless i know it's going to fix an issue that i'm having...it's EXTREMELY hard if not impossible to go back to the old version...i don't personally think that the bios update would solve the issue...

Well okay,

Could I ask you one more question?

Rather then starting a new tread I'll just ask it here. Same system, the battery will not charge. I read somewhere that it could be do to upgrading the solo 5300 to xp pro. I have this posted here somewhere else. But, I'm not really getting any replies. Beings that we are talking about the same system and bios.
Do you think this could have something to do with the bios?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You cannot fix a battery failure with a software update. i. e. installing XP Pro to cure a battery that won't hold a charge. The BIOS is best left alone, since updating it will not solve your touchpad issue. The manufacturer has stated that the laptop does not have compatible XP touchpad drivers. If you want to run XP, you could buy a USB mouse, otherwise, revert it to ME and it will have the necessary compatible drivers available for download from the manufacturer. Flashing the BIOS, as dsenette pointed out, is done as a last resort for specific issues. BIOS stands for "basic input output system" which is just enough to start the computer before the drives kicks in at boot. A BIOS is the "motherboard drivers", an oversimplification. How are you able to make the touchpad work correctly?
Johanna