Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook 2003 - Rules don't work automatically

• Please log in to reply

idrawstuff

idrawstuff

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi guys,

I'm running Microsoft Outlook 2003, and for the most part it's fine. However, I have been receiving loads of spam advertisingfor "Cana Petroleum" coming from MANY different email addresses - I tried to set up a rule this morning in which messages with the phrase "Cana Petroleum" in the body are deleted.

When I tried testing the rule by sending myself a message with the phrase "Cana Petroleum" in the body however, it was not caught. I tried running the rule manually with the "Run Rules Now" key, and THEN the message was caught and deleted. Several tests confirm that my new rule only works when I manually run rules, not automatically. I have several other rules set up almost identically, and they work just fine. When I Googled the problem, I found several other people with identical problems, but no one has any solutions.

Where are the true Geeks?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Into which folder are the incoming Cana email delivered, Inbox or Junk Email? Do you have Office SP2 installed? Do you have any other spam blocking software installed that integrates with Outlook (like iHateSpam/Messaging Ninja), or is Outlook Junk Mail filter it?

Have you tried to set up a second rule that does the same thing? Maybe the first rule is corrupt.

idrawstuff

idrawstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
The Spam is coming into a seperate IMAP account than my normal inbox, though all the prior rules I've set work with this account. I'm running Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600. I AM using Spam-Assassin.

I just tried the "Second Rule" tip with no luck. Also, deleting the rule and recreating it doesn't help.

The funniest thing is that I can manually run the rule, and it works fine. I'm checking to see if there is any way this one rule possibly isn't applying to this account...

Thanks!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I have a Hotmail account set up in my Outlook along with my Exchange account. Outlook rules only work on the default inbox, not the Hotmail inbox (or that's my experience).