Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this right?

• Please log in to reply

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I only have an 11.18 GB capacity in my C drive and a 7.43 GB capacity in my D drive. Is this normal? I think my computer should be able to hold a lot more than this. I just bought an iPod and iTunes won't let me download TV shows or anything because my computer has no space. I also get popups all the time saying that I have low disk space.

When I tried to reformat my computer the first time due to a virus, I used an out-dated Windows XP disc and I failed to install WinXP (until I got a newer disc that worked), but the setup is still on my computer and I don't know how to remove it. Is this my problem? I hope I'm posting in the right forum..

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, click my computer, click local disc C

Right click each folder, click properties, wait for the sizes to show, total them up, are any folders larger than you expect

Do this for all drives

How big is the Windows folder

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
my folders are the size I would expect them to be, it's the capacity of the hard drives themselves. For example, if I had absolutely nothing in the drives, I would have 7.43 and 11.18 GB of free space. Why are they so small?

My windows folder is 527 MB.

Edited by Lovltn848, 09 November 2006 - 11:48 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click manage, click disk management, what does it show for capacity and free

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I have no "manage" section, but scrolling over each drive I have:

C:
capacity: 11.1 GB
free space: 3.12 GB

D:
capacity: 7.43 GB
free space. 2.00 GB

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a 20GB drive partitioned

If the drive is 20GB, the figures are correct

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I guess I must have. That's incredibly small though. How can I upgrade?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is an outline guide, if you need help, post back

http://www.askbobran...hard_drive.html

The 20GB will be good for the primary with Windows and programmes, then data can go on the new / larger drive

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
ok, at the moment my primary concern is having enough room for my music and movies for my iPod, I think I'm good to go for the moment since I moved iTunes to C:. I'll definitely look into getting another drive though.

Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A larger drive will be of use because music and movie files are among the largest types

If you check the size of the windows folder in case you ended up with two when you did the repair etc

Hope it goes well

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I cut and pasted, so there is only one, when it was in D: it only had about 200 MB free. I just had to re-add all of my music to my library, which only took a minute.

One more thing though, as I mentioned in the OP, my first attempt at reformatting failed and I'm stuck with an extra WinXP in dos that doesn't work. how can I get rid of it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's still with checking the windows folder to see if it has two folders

If not, and you need to choose which version of windows when you boot the PC

Click Start then Run, type msconfig then press enter

Click on the BOOT.INI tab

Click on Check All Boot Paths

If Windows finds a corrupt or additional install of XP, it will ask you if it's okay to delete the entry for the unused/older/corrupt version. Click Yes / OK and then reboot

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
ok cool! I think that's spot on, but I'll have to do it tomorrow. I'm in the middle of downloading something and it will take another couple of hours. Thanks!