Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security Center

• Please log in to reply

Darkknight

Darkknight

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
To somone who can help me,
Ok this is what is happening, my macafee subscription has just ended, so i took my laptop to my University because they install a virus blocker (mcafee) for free, so i now have that. I noticed a bunch of pop ups showing up so i went to check my firewall on the security center, but my security states the following. "The Security Center is currently unavailable because the "Security Center" service has not started or was stopped. Please close this window, restart the computer (or start the "security Center" service", and then open the Sucirty Center again." It will let me click the firewall icon but it wont let me click any of the settings. I just recently realized this. And its get quite annoying because pop ups keep on coming up and i have a search bar on task bar (all these being adware). If anybody can help me i would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type services.msc then press enter

Double click Security Center

Set the start up to automatic, click apply, start the service, close services, reboot

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the quick reply man, i'm not at home this moment so i'll try it out and give you an update the minute i get home. Once again thanks for the quick help.

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok man, i did what you said and it allows me go to the security center, but it still wont let me turn on the windows firewall. It gives me a window that says: Recomendation Turn on Windows firewall for all network connections. Then it gives me an enable tab, i click it and another window pops up saying: We're sorry. The security center can not turn on Windows firewall. To try turning on the firewall yourself, go to Windows Firewall in Control Panel. In the Windows Firewall dialog General tab, select ON (recommended), and then click OK. I'v tried this but it wont let me. Can you still help me? I would be greatly appreciate it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through this then retry the firewall

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

The windows firewall only blocks incoming data, a third party firewall will block incoming and outgoing data, so you could consider this option which is free, and highly regarded. If you use it then download it, wait for the licence key then install it

http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok man heres an update, i get to the part where it says sfc /scannow, and you stated that it prompts you for the xp cd, but my screen just shows a black screen with writing on it and disappers, it doesn't prompt me for anything and no bar shows up. Do i continue with the rest of the directions. Oh and in case you need to know i don't have an xp disc. THanks for the persistant help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, click new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter

Carry on with the rest

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I did what you said and the window once again popped out really quick and disappeared but i took a screen shot of it and this is what it stated:

C:/windows/system32/sfc.exe
Microsoft<R> Windows Xp Windows File Checker Version 5.1
<C> 1999-2000 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved

Scans all protected system files and replaces incoreect version with correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANDNOW] [?SCANONCE] [/SCANBOOT] [/REVERT] [/PURGECACHE] [/CACHSIZE=X]

/SCANNOW Scans all protected system files immediately.
/SCANONCE Scans all protected system files once at the next...
/SCANBOOT Scans all protected system files at every boot.
/REVERT Return scan to default setting.
/PURGECACHE purges the file cache.
/CACHESIZE=X Sets the file cache size.

It says more but thats all i could capture. Is this normal? Should I continue? From where do i continue if no loading bar appears? Sorry i'm a noob when it comes to computer troubleshooting.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go from downloading Tune Up now

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thats seems to have worked. My security center shows that a firewall is running and all seems to be cool. This firewall is going to stay on my computer without ending, right. Everything should be cool now but i'll make sure to let you know if anything if I need anymore help. Anyway thanks for the help this site has been 100% successful in helping me trouble shoot my computer. Thank you again.

-Julian Gutierrez

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The firewall should be fine now

Thank You for letting me know