Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving a file to disc

• Please log in to reply

blaise78

blaise78

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,
I'm working on a very long word document (200 pages plus). Naturally, i want to cover myself in case it gets lost etc - i have it saved on the hard drive, naturally, but since my laptop is one of the modern ones that doesn't have a floppy disk drive, how can i save it remotely? I don't own a memory stick, unfortunately - is that the only way i can save it with these new modern laptops?!?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unless your laptop has a CD burner....if your laptop has a cd burner you could burn it to CD....you could also send the file to yourself in an email...assuming that the file isn't too large for your email account (if you've got a gmail account...you've got unlimited space....and if you don't...i can get you one if you like) though...with the price of USB "thumbdrives" or whatever you want to call them...it may be in your best interest to get one for such large documents...

blaise78

blaise78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
My laptop has an internal burner - can i burn it onto discc, then? I presume if i use a rewritable one then can i just keep resaving over it?
I may at some point invest in a stick/thumbdrive, but i must say i resent that I'm being forced into it because somebody decided that floppy disks were late for room 101.
I'll also e-mail it to one of my webmails - cheers for the advice.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

My laptop has an internal burner - can i burn it onto discc, then? I presume if i use a rewritable one then can i just keep resaving over it?

yeah...you should be able to do this...if the document changes often...and you don't need to keep older revisions...then an RW would be a good choice....if you change it often...but DO need to keep revisions...you could also use just a CDR but not close the sesion after you burn it (or with the rw you could just change the name of the file to represent the revision)

I may at some point invest in a stick/thumbdrive, but i must say i resent that I'm being forced into it because somebody decided that floppy disks were late for room 101.

well...floppies are (at least now) substandard media...they have a rellatively short shelf life...OBVIOUS sotrage limits...and...well..they're bulky...i've got my "thumbdrive" hanging off my badge holder around my neck as we speak...don't have to worry about keeping a bunch of floppies around

biggles007

biggles007

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
If I were you I'd get a mem stick. They are very cheap now.