Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound on newly loaded Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

lhp

lhp

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
HP hard drive and memory shot after 18 months on a brand new computer. Took it to the "doctor" and had them put in a new hard drive and new memory. Everything else was ok (processor etc). They loaded Windows XP back on for me. They gave me a new Works/Money to load as well. Everything on the old hard drive was "toast" (thank goodness I believe in backing up my documents, pictures etc).

But I don't have any sound (audio). Every new computer I have ever bought has already had the sound software loaded on. But since all the doctor loaded was Windows XP, I need some new sound software.

What do you guys recommend? I don't do any fancy audio stuff. Just the basics...

Thanks, you folks are the best.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
More than likely you need drivers for your sound card. Have a look in the Device Manager. The tech you took your computer to probably didn't have speakers hooked up to notice the lack of sound.
Johanna

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
As an addendum to what Johanna said, if you provide your exact HP model, we can help you find the drivers you need.

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks... I have the HP Pavilion a1020n . Bought it in April 2005.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
You should just need the first driver, listed here:
http://h10025.www1.h...st_page=product

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Ok loaded first one....everything looked like it was going to be fine and then an error

Cann't Find Match Realtek HD Audio Inf File

(yes, that is how they spelled Can't)

Second error stated this update could not be done.

Machine rebooted and I tried audio anyway...still nothing.

Thanks

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Also under Device Manager...I noticed I have Audio Codecs (and it says it is working) and Legacy Audio Drivers (and it says they are working). I did not know if that info would help.

Thanks

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
That's a different one. Try the first download listed here http://downloadfinde.....mp;submit=Go!
and then the realtek driver again if that doesn't fix it 100%

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Downloaded the Intel (first one) and tried to download the Realtek again

Same Error Cann't Find Match Realtek HD Audio Inf File
Then same "warning" Realtek HD Audio driver Set up Failure!

(boy they~the folks that write these warnings~ know how to instill confidence...don't they)

More info~~ sorry this is so piece meal...but I am a real computer novice and it takes me time to find things that I should probaby already know....

When I go to Control Panel, then select Sound, Speech and Auditory Devices, then select any of the choices dealing with Sound....the panel says No Audio Device.

Thanks

Edited by lhp, 10 November 2006 - 12:11 PM.

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Since it says "No Audio Device" could it be something else the repair guys should have done with they replaced my hard drive and memory??? Does that mean I don't have a Sound Card? Is a Sound Card something the repair guys would have taken out to replace hard drive and memory and forget to put it back in?

Sorry if I sound like I am grasping at straws...but I don't have any yellow or red signs when I open up Device Manager. It says they are all working fine???

Thanks again!!

When I win the lottery, we are going to have a GeeksToGo cruise on me!!!!