Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN Kicks Offline

• Please log in to reply

General Alyssa

General Alyssa

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ok, here's the deal---

I have a cable modem and for about 2 months now it's been kicking offline for no appearent reason.
It happens at intervals of time, like about every 40 minutes or so.
And when it happens, a little window will pop up at the bottom right of my screen (in the tray) and say "Local Area Connection A network cable is unplugged"
(i'm sure those of you who are connected to a LAN have seen this before)

And then, as usual, it'll re-connect after a few seconds.

But this has been happeneing, like I said, for about two months now, and I have no idea why.
It's gotten really annoying....

So I was wondering if anybody knew what the problem was and if they could help me. :whistling:

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Normally, that's either a bad ethernet cable or a bad modem. I'd vote for the modem.

General Alyssa

General Alyssa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hmmmm...... so you dont think it could be a virus or anything?
i've ran virus scans and what not, not much has come up. but either way, i'de say my computer was pretty clean............

so do I have to buy a new MODEM or a whole new cable thing?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If it's popping up with a network cable unplugged error, the computer is saying that it doesn't detect anything on the other side of whatever (if anything) is plugged into the ethernet port. You can cause it to pop that message yourself by either pulling the cable from the computer or modem, or unplugging the power from the modem.

Your next step would be to call your ISP, and have them send a new modem out. Generally speaking, it's something you rent from them. They may also have a fix for this particular issue, or a firmware update they can pop through to it.