Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

cake87

cake87

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Anan0289 (Anna)

I have followed the instructions to every last detail and it did not delete any data or wipe the partition.

It will look like windows is reinstalling but it is actually repairing the files on the system back the state it was when windows was first installed.

Just follow the instructions carefully and follow exactly and it will work. If you don't feel confident doing it, ask a friend/or family who knows more otherwise you'll have to take it to a pc shop!

Hope this helps Anna!

Advertisements

Przybyl

Przybyl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am stuck at something that looks like this...

C:\WINDOWS>

I typed HELP and a whole bunch of commands came up, but i do not know which one to use, or what to do. This came up right after the administrator password prompt. I am running the repair because i got the Fatal System Error c000021a, and it was recommended to run the repair by a tech guy at my school after nothing else worked.

Przybyl

Przybyl

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I am stuck at something that looks like this...

C:\WINDOWS>

I typed HELP and a whole bunch of commands came up, but i do not know which one to use, or what to do. This came up right after the administrator password prompt. I am running the repair because i got the Fatal System Error c000021a, and it was recommended to run the repair by a tech guy at my school after nothing else worked.

Nevermind. Figured it out.

Randeep22

Randeep22

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, i had the STOP error on my main computer, and i reinstalled windows, and it seems to have fixed the actual stop error; thanks for that :) .

However, although most of my files (music, movies applications ect...) remain intact, I have lost all of my personal settings, I can't get my internet connection (with sky broadband) up on the same computer again for some reason (I'm using the same internet for this computer I'm posting with, and its working perfectly fine). Some other programs have stopped working (like iTunes, it says i need quicktime for it to work, which I should have, but the reinstallation must have lost something somehow).

Also, when i scroll down and sideways, it seems to be going very slowly for some reason , and my 2 AND ' keys are mixed up with each other, though they are working just fine with this computer - What the...!? :)

Any advice on how to get my computer back to normal again (connect Sky, fix the scroll problem and get the keyboard error back to normal)? Thanks,

Randeep

Bri K

Bri K

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi! Due to a virus, most of my system32 files are done (it's the Vitro virus). I got ahold of a program which cleaned some of the files, but most had to be deleted. So now I'm without a command prompt, Ctrl-Alt-Delete & many basic functions. Would the reinstall with repair bring these features back?

tigastray

tigastray

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I appear to be a late arriver to the game: my Windows XP Winsock Provider Catalog has been corrupted since August 8th and until yesterday I was unable to access the Internet. I have tried everything from winsockxpfix.exe to support.microsoft.com to two-hours of the Geek Squad to sfc /scannow ... all to no avail. Through some of these repeated gyrations, I was able to get limited access to the Internet, which allows me to type this message; however, I am unable to access many websites. From where may I download the appropriate winsock program to reinstall to my computer?

Any suggestions or expertise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the time and consideration. (BTW - I cannot access any semblance of email; therefore, I will have to keep checking this site to see if there are any responses.)

billedwards

billedwards

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You could uninstall the Service Pack, or create a "SlipStream" CD with SP2: http://www.neowin.ne...tion=more&id=94

I've been meaning to write an easier guide for creating SlipStreamed XP setup CD's. Maybe this will be my motivation. tongue.gif

--------------------
Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead :)
Please be courteous, polite, and say thank you.
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!
Malware Cleaning Guide | Free Antivirus Tools | Link to Us
Search the Forums | Terms of Use | Forum Help
view instructions here

mammothboot

mammothboot

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Saw alot of useful tips here but didn't encounter one same as mine though.

Tried to boot from cd but got a blue screen of death with this: 0x0000007E(0xC0000005, 0xf748eobf, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
problem after awhile. Any help? Thx.

Edited by mammothboot, 13 September 2009 - 07:44 AM.

sframe23

sframe23

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop recently just stopped working and I cant actualy log in or anything, I'm told rebooting as explained above would solve the problem but unfortunatly I have lost my windows xp cd?!?!?
What can I do without one is there anyway i can burn whatever is needed onto a disk on this computer then transfer it to my laptop and use it to reboot?
Ive asked everyone I can think of if they have a disk i could borrow but just cant find one!

Thankyou xx

olbo

olbo

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

When completed loading files, you will be presented with the following "Windows Setup" screen, and your first option. Select "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER". DO NOT select Recovery Console.

Posted Image

When presented with the screen below. press the F8 key to continue.

Posted Image

Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation, or install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

Note: If you install a fresh copy, all data on that partition will be lost!

Posted Image

HI all

What's the difference between:
- repair the selected windows xp installation

- repair the selected windows xp installation using recovery console
?

Tks in advance for your help

Oli

Advertisements

laura91

laura91

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
i didn't make my boot disks for my netbook (advent 4211) which is xp. is there anyway i can reboot my computer to factory settings? it won't start up i get a boot failure but ran checks and my hard drive and everything is ok, i think it's due to partitions, but i'd rather reboot my netbook.

thanks

Yesenia0628

Yesenia0628

• Pip
  • 3 posts
if I do this will I lose all my documents, programs etc...

TDinDC

TDinDC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to repair Windows XP (Service Pack 3) after some of the system files were corrupted by a nasty virus that was downloaded when a visitor used this computer. Previously, I NEVER used THIS computer to connect to the internet (this one is used for my recording studio only, I have another computer for everything else) so I had no AV programs installed. Subsequently I installed AV protection and cleaned the system. The remaining issue is (so it appears) that the virus corrupted some system files. I tried the method outlined in this thread: boot from WinXP CD, but when I press enter to start the setup, the setup program reports it can't find any hard drives! Well, I'm currently in Windows and writing this reply over the internet, so there are clearly hard drives. I don't know what the problem is with the setup program, but I am unable to repair windows. I have thought about rolling back to an earlier configuration, but am not sure what I would be losing and would need to reinstall. Guess I could go through Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs to determine when each app was first installed and use this list to discover what would have to be reinstalled, but ? is there an easier way?

Linni_T_mm

Linni_T_mm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I dont have a CD and when i try to F11 to get to reset factory settings it reads an error message. please help, i need to restore factory settings.

Linni

ps. I'm using XP Home Edition from 2004

Edited by Linni_T_mm, 28 October 2009 - 04:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Linni_T_mm.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then. Please start a new topic in the XP forum and we can continue with the assistance there.

One thing is you posted no information about your system so we can assist you.