Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

bernadette ann

bernadette ann

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello.
i am having problems with my computer. im using windows xp and the problem is my computer's been having blue screen errors (i don't know what type of error it is but the same errors appear every time i open my computer) since i installed my newly bought wifi connection. i tried to uninstall the wifi but my computer automatically restart and i cant open it so i tried to open my computer the next day and it does. I began reformating my computer using another windows xp installer but after i successfully installed windows xp and the other drivers, blue screen errors starting to appear again and i cannot open my computer also. what can i do to fix it?

Advertisements

powerader

powerader

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

I'm new here, and I am having some problems with windows xp with what I believe is a rootkit called "catchme". I can't start the computer in safe mode, and when I start it normally, I can't do anything productive. I've followed the steps laid out at the start of this topic, and gotten to the point where the partitions are laid out. There are 4 separate partitions, -: Partition 1 [FAT], C: Partition2 [NTFS], F: Partition4 <MEDIADIRECT> [FAT32], and E: Partition3 [FAT32]. In terms of size, partition 2 is the largest. There is also 8 MB of unpartitioned space.

Now my question is, since there is no windows xp listed here, does that mean I will lose all of my data? I have quite a bit of music, so I'm hoping that's not the case.

Also, I was on windows recovery console before finding this website, and went through the listsvc and found what I believe was the problem in a listing under "computer browser" called catchme.

Thanks for any help and for the time in reading this, and double thanks if you can help me fix this without losing my music.

awannabeee

awannabeee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All;

i would say be careful.
i did the repair as laid out in order to set up an old hard drive in a different machine.
decided to go back to previous machine. did the repair and lost or corrupted access to
profile that contains the wifes photos and pta stuff.
i am in the process of trying to recover no specific solutions yet.

SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL DONT WANT YOU IN THE WIFES GOING TO KILL ME BOAT!!

p.s. any help would be appreciated!
george

Edited by awannabeee, 21 November 2009 - 07:03 PM.

jdfiv

jdfiv

• Pip
  • 1 posts

The setup screens do appear like you're installing Windows again for the first time, but if you've followed the instructions, selected R from the repair menu, and chosen which Windows installtion to be repaired, then it has not reformated. When you restart your Windows installation should be the same as it was.

Running Windows XP Home SP2 with all updates.

I am doing something wrong evidently. First, the "press 'R' option" to repair specifically says it will be using the Repair Console. After pressing "R" I am instructed to select the windows installation to repair. In my case there is only one to select. When I type in the #1 at the cursor and press enter, I am taken to the C:\Windows directory dos prompt. I don't know what to do from there. It certainly doesn't begin a repair sequence.

The reason for the repair attempt is to hopefully replace 3 missing files that I must have some how deleted when uninstalling HP software for a HP Photosmart printer/scanner. When trying to install the latest software it told me these three files were missing: usbprint.sys, usbccgp.sys and usbstor.sys all which it said were supposed to be at the address; C:\Windows\Systemhpzprl01.exe -m DeviceManagementhpzmsi01.exe -commit\drivers. I did a serch of the windows directory an it did not find the files. I could not find that long string file name between C:\Windows\ ??? \drivers.

Would be thankful for any help. Would really like to know if possible to find those files somewhere and just copy to correct directory...??

DISREGARD I JUST DON"T FOLLOW DIRECTIONS WELL< IT SEEMS !!! Thanks anyway it worked! One caveat, you might keep a non-usb mouse handy. My usb driven keyboard and mouse died before completion and I had no way to respond to task boxes. On the 2nd try my non-usb mouse stayed alive but the keyboard still died. Don't ask me!

Edited by jdfiv, 28 November 2009 - 08:13 PM.

trnstar

trnstar

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
i recently replaced my computers mother board and made the mistake of booting before i ran the repair installation and it failed to activate. i then ran the repair and tried to logon again but now i cant get the activation box to come up again and it stays stuck on my desktop background... i can do nothing. it will neither login or activate, what do i do?

StephenLee

StephenLee

• Pip
  • 5 posts
In addition, here are some methods on how to fix startup problems.

I would like to share the information with you guys.

http://ezinearticles...t...&id=3087747

azador

azador

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey,
i am using windows XP (home) on my acer notebook (aspire 1690) and since yesterday it won't boot anymore. it shows me a black screen saying windows couldn't be booted and gives me options like safe mode and last functional configuration. but neither is working and it just keeps on trying to reboot.
my questions is if i follow the given instructions here and do the repair installation, what data is going to be lost? i have a lot of photos and a very important email in my outlook that i really can't lose!
i would appreciate any quick help!
thanks and please excuse my english, i am from germany.

moonwatcher99

moonwatcher99

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a slight problem. I attempted the repair install, which worked fine through the first few steps. My computer BIOS is set to boot from CD, and it copied all files, then began installation. (Which looked like a full install, but kept my data.) However, when it was finished, it attempted to boot from cd again, then went to the XP loading screen, with a please wait message. It never asked for my key, and it stayed that way for over an hour. My husband shut down the power and rebooted, and my original problem was solved (Blue screen of death), but now I am unable to access windows updates or the help console. When I click on the Windows updates link in control panel, it tells me 'the requested lookup key was not found in any activation context'. Was something not installed correctly, maybe requiring me to run it again? I have my files backed up, but I have several programs installed that I would hate to lose, since I'm not sure I still have the keys.

acute18

acute18

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
had major probs with blue screen ect tried so many things, cant boot to windows ect, tried recovery internally and now set to do full recovery, back to settings when brought, so not done this yet. then got a dell xp recovery cd, i have a packard bell so hope it ok, followed the steps to repair and go to the set up accept the licencing agreement by pressing f8
(When presented with the screen press the F8 key to continue.)

but i dont have this part it it goes to a blue screen windows xp edition setup and says the following list shows the exisitng partitions and unpartioned space on your pc.

C: D: and E;

i tried f3 to quit it said:
windows xp is not completely set up on your pc, if you quit setup now you will need to run setup agin to set up wndows xp.
:)

to continue se up press enter
to quit set up f3.

what do i do now.

imperium

imperium

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Will my old user accounts be gone when I will undergo the repair? I haven't done the repair yet.
I seriously don't want my old account to be gone. It would be a pain for me to change the settings all over again to my liking.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Rhull9

Rhull9

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I have an issue with a dell. While I was out to sea my wifes laptop crashed. She took it to a friend who tried to reload it. He thought it had XP Pro loaded when it only has XP home. Well that did not work because he was using a copy of xp pro upgrade disc. When it came up it said that this laptop was not eligble for the upgrde. Well I have the recovery discs and everytime I power up the machine it still goes in to setup for the XP pro. How can I get it to start over? I am not as worried about the data on the machine as much as I am just getting the machine operational again?

Edited by Rhull9, 10 January 2010 - 12:52 PM.

FOVR

FOVR

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I did the procedure you recommend in "How-to repair Windows XP, How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade" and when windows starts after de repairing process appears the windows logo with the green dots below for several seconds and the the computer restarts itself and again and again, even in Safe mode or any other.

Can you Help me?

Thanks

Demetri

Demetri

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
will the process work above without losing any information (programs and data) I am not worried about updates and drivers till the end.

wavewolfaroha

wavewolfaroha

• Pip
  • 4 posts
removed to new topic on Windows XP

Edited by wavewolfaroha, 28 January 2010 - 05:53 PM.

Demetri

Demetri

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
when i went to do the repair it did not find my version of windows? Sometimes i can boot up in safe mode and other times it gets stuck after it gets to about the 3rd command line down while it is trying to go into safe mode. So i know there is a windows on there. So why does it not give me the option to repair it ? gofigure ??? I just dont understand . All it does is find my partition. And i dont want to lose all my data,too much to re-enter is there anyway to possibly save it without losing it all?? Then i will do a clean install to where i can put everything back ??