Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The setup screens do appear like you're installing Windows again for the first time, but if you've followed the instructions, selected R from the repair menu, and chosen which Windows installtion to be repaired, then it has not reformated. When you restart your Windows installation should be the same as it was.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I don't recommend any RAM scrubbers for Windows XP - it does a very good job on it's own. Remember to turn on your Windows firewall, and run Windows Update ASAP!

Javigato

Javigato

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, going back to my previous post, it appears to affect email only from Microsoft Outlook, so I am not too concern, but some help would be appreciated. Now, I run into another problem, I followed Admin's directions but when I try to run the windows firewall I can do it, I can't even access the Security Center, and when I try to start it I get an error message, the error number is 1083 and it says something along the lines that it can't start the thing because the executable file is not configured to open it or something like that.

Please Admin, help!!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try Sygate's free version:
http://smb.sygate.co...pf_standard.htm

Then, post a new topic in our Malware forum for help. :tazz:

abandnhope

abandnhope

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello, im new at this stuff and at my wits end. would this fix "everything" about windows xp ive been trying to fix my pc for about a week and a half i want the data not the 8k+ infected files. i have followed ur first time user section steps but , everytime i run a virus scan pc crashes to blue. Started with one haxdoor-bgn now can id i think symtoms from more than 3 haxdoor'ish items and my reg is riddled with new and exciting stuff all the time

will this fix my pc... any help or responce is grately appretated. ty

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Haxdoor is a nasty infection, you may have to remove it from your system before performing a repair. Start Here, and post a new topic in the malware forum when done.

Akumara

Akumara

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried what the guide said, I didn't have a terms and conditions page, it just straight away installed Window XP on my other drive. I think i have a special version of Professional that doesn't require a CD key, like corporate or something.

Please help, I have 2 windows systems installed but i want to remove one and repair my original.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I think i have a special version of Professional that doesn't require a CD key, like corporate or something.

You think? We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

The solution given by is quite a bit heavy....For the people who had problems caused by the windows hotfixes...it is easier to have their system restored.

Trouble is if you have installed SP1/SP2 since installing WindowsXP, SFC can fail becuase it can't find the needed files on the CD. There are workarounds, but sometimes a repair, followed by reinstalling the updates is easier. Either that or create a slipstream setup CD.

poorak

poorak

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
:tazz: ADMIN>>>i am sure that people who have turned on the system restore will fully get restored either by hook or by crook
Another way that could be yours might be the second last to reinstall the whole OS .
The best way to protect one's registry / files / important drivers / database is to have a good backup before any upgrade......people must pay attention to this instead of coming after the problem is created......poat problem solution is difficult to find but the pre-problem soluntion is easy to implement .

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
A repair installation should always be the last resort. Of course a System Restore would be prefered if that option were available, and trying the System File Checker first is good advise. However, SFC isn't the catch-all solution, as it often fails when Service Packs are involved. A slipstream tutorial is on my to-do list. SFC with a slipstream CD should usually be successful. :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Just for clarity- the command to type is:
sfc /scannow
(note the space between the c and the / )

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

System File Checker (sfc)
Scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer.

Remarks
You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc.
If sfc discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder, and then replaces the incorrect file.

Johanna

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Clean install on another logical drive worked fine, as usual.

It installed on another partition in the same system without errors?

MopgoBopoT

MopgoBopoT

• Pip
  • 2 posts
yes, the same system, original CD

Something similar was reported here

Edited by MopgoBopoT, 13 July 2005 - 04:52 PM.

Jmoney209

Jmoney209

• Pip
  • 5 posts
now if it doesnt give me the optioon too repair becuz my system is too corrupted, and i choose the other option, will I lose ALL my data like my Mp3s and word documents?? pls help..