Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

banicassalam

banicassalam

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The setup screens do appear like you're installing Windows again for the first time, but if you've followed the instructions, selected R from the repair menu, and chosen which Windows installtion to be repaired, then it has not reformated. When you restart your Windows installation should be the same as it was.

Advertisements

gixbusa

gixbusa

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am glad I found this site. I am really hoping someone can help. I installed Avira cause avast would not load on for some reason....but anyways avira anti virus as soon as it loaded bam....com goes into blue screen....I dont freak cause I have had comps before do his...so i restart in safe mode....well safe mode with networking works for a lil and i wanting to delete he program and do a system restore since i could not load normally...helped in past...would not let me...so i unloaded program did a restart....it reloaded and kept reloading....so i basically did your whole fix before i found this site but at a lose of words..it loaded windows....everything is gone..like brand new..I was pretty upset cause all my work and nephews baby pics where on there along with some medical research. I looked in Computer at the C drive and its a 500 gig drive but theirs only 77 gigs free....I go to programs and its packed with all my old programs but no pictures...no movies or music was saved...all my documents gone...I have no idea what to do. I need to get internet going but it would take the usb drive...wont read it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I am glad I found this site. I am really hoping someone can help. I installed Avira cause avast would not load on for some reason....but anyways avira anti virus as soon as it loaded bam....com goes into blue screen....I dont freak cause I have had comps before do his...so i restart in safe mode....well safe mode with networking works for a lil and i wanting to delete he program and do a system restore since i could not load normally...helped in past...would not let me...so i unloaded program did a restart....it reloaded and kept reloading....so i basically did your whole fix before i found this site but at a lose of words..it loaded windows....everything is gone..like brand new..I was pretty upset cause all my work and nephews baby pics where on there along with some medical research. I looked in Computer at the C drive and its a 500 gig drive but theirs only 77 gigs free....I go to programs and its packed with all my old programs but no pictures...no movies or music was saved...all my documents gone...I have no idea what to do. I need to get internet going but it would take the usb drive...wont read it.

Hi and welcome. Looks like you have managed to install a fresh copy of Windows XP without formatting the drive (which can happen if you don't follow the instructions to the letter). Try looking for a folder called Windows.old in the C:, if so then you'll have to navigate through there to find you documents.

Cheers

gixbusa

gixbusa

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
did a search for the folder and I got Search is complete. The are no results to display. I mean it has to be there with a 500 gig drive and 77 gigs free right?

Edited by gixbusa, 09 May 2012 - 11:58 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes I would think it is there somewhere. Try another search, this time for one of your file names or *.jpg (all jpg picture files). You're bound to find something.

Otherwise look up a nifty tool called windirstat. It will present you with a graphic of which folders are the largest -that should help.

gixbusa

gixbusa

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
find it very weird that it shows i have 77 gigs free yet those pics i sent basically say something else

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
@ gixbusa please start a new topic in the Windows XP forum. We simply can't help everyone that has issues with repairing XP in this one topic.

gixbusa

gixbusa

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
remade another and just copied my posts. Hope to see the great help more. Thanks

redditch

redditch

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,am hoping someone can i help.I am trying to do a repair installation.All goes fine un till activate now or later(it is a legal copy,and when i origianly installed it i activated by phone). When i select activate now,every thing stops dead.
Any ideas? i do not want to lose all my programs:( as i connect to the net via dongle,would take weeks to reinstall everything!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
redditch

Welcome to Geeks to Go

Please see post 337 above and do the same

Advertisements

smvb64

smvb64

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! Im hoping someone can help me with this problem, I believe I got myself into quite a mess xD I decided to do a Windows XP repair after removing a virus infection. So I followed the steps here and all seems good so far. It got to the the XP installation part where it has the timer of the left side and was able to finish that. The computer then restarted and resumed back on that screen when my house got hit by a minor blackout which turned off the computer. When I turned it back on, I was able to see the windows boot screen then went to blue screen of death. Is their anything I can do now without losing data? Thanks. (Also I noticed now that it was sp2 repair disk installing on sp3 system and should I post what the BOD error said?)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: redditch

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Starting your own topic will increase your chances of getting one on one assistance 3 folds.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

yikes7bettafish

yikes7bettafish

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! Admin! BUT- I cannot find a backup option in my start menu and I did not purchase the option in my McAfee, so how do I backup? I have been having error probs for over a month: Code 1, char 35595, master_bundle, system volume corrupt{run chkdsk} but does not fix the situation. What can I do to for all this? pleaasseeee!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: yikes7bettafish

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic that is 6 months old since the last response it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

yikes7bettafish

yikes7bettafish

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Moderator!