Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will try to help if you post the link to your topic for me.

Advertisements

Aganger

Aganger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The house was heat treated up to 150. They said the electronic equipment would be ok but after they were done, one of my desktops wouldn't boot. It stops at the black screen and says NTLDR Missing. Cont alt del to restart. Did so several times with no progress. Put the windows Xp disk in but the boot sequence doesn't get that far. Worked fine before the heat.
I followed your instructions and booted from the cd.
However, after pressing f-8 to agree, up Comes a screen showing that partitions are set up and the only options are to enter to install, d to delete partition or f3 to quit.

What should I do next?

Edited by Aganger, 30 June 2013 - 10:17 PM.

FayATalley

FayATalley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I really like your steps which is easily to understand and can apply to do these steps also to resolve repairing windows XP. But as we know the problem become more in setup for the installation time.

redditch

redditch

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions,non of which worked for me,my xp is a dell oem disk but my system is one i built myself,and it seems the oem disk was looking for something on my hard drive,they way around this was that windows needed a direct link to the internet for it to be fixed.AS i have no land-line or cable(boondocks:( )i connect using a dongle,so windows has to start for the dongle to start..catch 22!
Microsoft were of NO help on the phone insisting that they no longer support xp.
I had to reinstall the lot!
Am now taking a great interest in Linux,specifically Nadia 14.
Thanks for the help though folks,much appreciated

Labellajay

Labellajay

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My son put a virus on his PC and I followed your steps but when I get to to section in which you say I should get the repair option for the partitions, it does not give me that option. I'm guessing it is too corrupted. So now I am stuck and I am at this page which list different partitions. What should I do? My PC won't run windows at all. I would appreciate your help. Thanks.
SORRY, I STARTED A NEW TOPIC. I DIDNT REALIZE I SHOULD HAVE DONE IT BEFORE.

Edited by Labellajay, 19 September 2013 - 06:26 PM.

esbo

esbo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
"Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive"

I don't have a Windows XP CD, windows came pre-installed. :rolleyes:

So what do I do?

The restore will not work nor my restore CD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will need to purchase a XP that matches the version and sp you have installed on your system. This should match the sticker on your system with the original OS and serial number. The recovery disks for name brand systems do not allow for a system restore but only a system recovery.
What is the brand make and model of your system and we can see if your recovery partition will allow for a non destructive recovery.

HowToTec

HowToTec

• Pip
  • 3 posts
In the middle of installation if you see some error of file missing, you can change CD from that location and "Retry". I often do so. In fact once I had installed XP SP1 from 5 different CDs. Every CD had some files missing. But finally i haven't found any problem.

Patrick Estimada

Patrick Estimada

• Pip
  • 2 posts

my win xp pro always reboots after windows loading, what to do?

ledialedia

ledialedia

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Although my pc (windows XP) works well now, i always have the fear that it won't work again. Because my computer can instore only Windows XP. Is there a software could protect my PC

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

coque galaxy s5 coque s5

Edited by ledialedia, 15 May 2014 - 09:47 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Although my pc (windows XP) works well now, i always have the fear that it won't work again. Because my computer can instore only Windows XP. Is there a software could protect my PC?

I am not sure what you mean by protect your PC. Support for XP from Microsoft has stopped so security updates will no longer be made available.  If you are talking about protection from malware and getting a virus then what type of AV and malware software do you currently use?

ronnyelk

ronnyelk

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I began to have some issues with my Windows XP. So I ran Norton to see if there were any viruses. Up-dated my windows, and rebooted. I rebooted, and from there, things just kept getting worse. now I can't even get windows to start.

I get this error message fter my bios load

Missing NTLDR
Press Ctrl-Alt-Dlt to restart

I tried to reload windows from the CD, but it won't load the setup screen. I changed the boot order, I even downloaded the Windows Floppy to CD-ROM Booster. Same problem.

Missing NTLDR

I have tried to just load a fresh copy of windoes on my IDE HDD instead of the SATA HDD, same problem.
Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.

Good Luck

ScottR

how do i reset my computer back to a factory reset?

ronnyelk

ronnyelk

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I began to have some issues with my Windows XP. So I ran Norton to see if there were any viruses. Up-dated my windows, and rebooted. I rebooted, and from there, things just kept getting worse. now I can't even get windows to start.

I get this error message fter my bios load

Missing NTLDR

I tried to reload windows from the CD, but it won't load the setup screen. I changed the boot order, I even downloaded the Windows Floppy to CD-ROM Booster. Same problem.

Missing NTLDR

I have tried to just load a fresh copy of windoes on my IDE HDD instead of the SATA HDD, same problem.
Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.

Good Luck

ScottR

how do i reset my computer back to a factory reset?

i do not have the disc

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the brand name of your system or is it a custom build?

ben01

ben01

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, I'm trying to do this fix. After I press any key to boot from cd it goes into setup, but doesn't go to the screen with the options of setting up windows or going to the recovery console etc. Instead it goes straight to the list of partitions (see photo) and will only allow me to set up xp from scratch, which I don't really want to do because it says I will lose all my data. Any hints?

10468351_10152528880842128_5030246934922