Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Not unless you chose to format, or partition your drive. You may lose your favorites, and any saved contacts and emails. You'll also have to reinstall any software, but other data on your drive will not be affected.

Advertisements

convictedferret

convictedferret

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i am attemting to repair my windows xp by doing what the guide says, but when it says that if it cant find a previous version of windows the partions are too messed up.. does that mean that i cant repair windows?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If Windows XP didn't come preinstalled on the system (OEM), this method may work: http://support.micro...5&Product=winxp

lala0305

lala0305

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I've been getting windows registry errors, mainly when I'm online... would this windows fix replace the corrupted registry files or should I get one of those registry cleaner programs? Sometimes the error posts as a c:\...\win\sys32\lsass.exe error status code 128 and forces the computer to shut down and restart after 60 seconds. Other times pop-ups, from registry fix software sites, tell me that I have critical errors and should get their software. I've been ignoring them because I assumed it was just advertising. But the system error that restarts the computer is obviously a real problem. I've run all virus applications and ad-ware and it comes up with no virus etc.

Please help.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Welcome to G2g!
lala0305,
What you have described sounds like the sasser worm, a malware, and repairing XP is maybe not the best answer. You can visit the malware forum and post a thread there, or reinstall XP clean.
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Johanna

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
so I guess if I have Win XP media center edition that came on my pc that I can't use my Win XP cd to to repair files, is that correct?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can repair Media Center, but you need to have the XP installation CD. If it came preinstalled, and you don't have a CD then you may have to backup and restore. Or, make a post in our XP forum and see if we can help solve the issue.

poppyal

poppyal

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi! Thanks for the info. I will definately keep all that in the back of my head. I really thought that is what I was doing, but was told that the drive had to be formatted. I just figured that the OS was shot or something. Anyway, Thanx a lot. poppyal

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
How can I find my CD key as I only have a Repair disk that came with my laptop?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
rumble, if all you have is the system repair/restore disks from the computer manufacturer, then you cannot preform these steps...they can only be done with actual windows CDs

Advertisements

South

South

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the Blue screen terror problem.. I have tried the instructions stated in this previous post but what should I do it no installations are found how do I repair. Do I then format a partition? I ma very unsure what to do. All I know is that my computer will not start up not even in safe mode :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If Windows DIDN'T come preinstalled on your system (OEM), you can try this alternate method:
http://support.micro...5&Product=winxp

A format and reinstall would most likely work unless you have a hardware issue, BUT you'll lose ALL your data. If you have data you wish to save, you can perform an installation without formatting. It will likely cure your Windows problems, while leaving most your data intact. You will have to reinstall all your programs.

Ruthlesslife

Ruthlesslife

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thanks for the step by step instructions but its not working out for me,
when i press enter i cannot then press R for the recovery process, the options i am given are to format the partition which i do not want to do.
I can press r at the start but it takes me to a command screen where i do not know what to do
my problem is that my computer keeps restarting over and over when it tries to start up, it shows the blue screen for a sec. also ive fixed it before going through this prcoess but i cannot remember what i did last time.
I'd appreciate your help thanks again

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Did you try the alternate method linked above?

South

South

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

It did not work for me as my computer refused to budge from stating that the only option was to format the hard drive. So what we did yesterday actually was to remove the hard drive from the DELL and connect it up to a MAC and copying all the files over. The hard dirve was then replaced and formatted. Hopefully this should have fixed the problem overall and not provided a temporary measure. :whistling: