Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Gyorys, these tutorials are open for comments, but no assistance is provided here. Please start a new topic in the Windows XP forum.

Advertisements

KennySP

KennySP

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good day. I have an interesting dilemma i'd like feedback for regarding Windows XP before attempting a repair (This being I have sought help from friends, message boards, microsoft database and even from live tech help from microsoft) before I may have to resort to a reformat and fresh reinstall.
As the saying goes "If it aint broke, don't fix it". Well, wanted XP sp2 up and running when I saw it was available. It was working fine for days until I saw an update for one of the Hotfixes. From that point on, It has been a downhill ride.

SP2 had a problem and did a d/l and tried to reinstall again. It failed halfway through. From that point, I have SP1 and whether I download it or even install from the CD of SP2 I ordered, it stops halfway with "Setup cannot continue......Access is denied" and it uninstalls (No way to stop it). Tried the fixes and even carefully backed up before I attempted registry editings. No go.

After all that, tried to check my windows firewall. Computer won't let me access it. Now keep getting sporadic "Windows has encountered a problem....". Virus checks each time I boot up. None found. Do you think it wise, much less possible to do a repair to get this back to the way it was so I can get SP2 or am I doomed to wipe the slate clean (For the 4th time) to get windows back to working? Thanks a bunch.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
KennySP,

These tutorials are left open for comments, but we do not provide assistance in this thread. Please post your problem in our Windows XP forum.

Flying Doc

Flying Doc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hee everyone,

I have got a major problem please help me!
My Windows is damaged and when I want to repair it,
I put the installations cd in my computer, reboot, push ENTER
but then there's no R!
When I choose the first R I end up in Recovery Console were nothing
I have typed in ( like C:\Windows\system32\config\sam ) works!
I WANT TO KEEP MY DATA!

Please help me!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Flying Doc,

These tutorials are open for comments, but no help is offered in this thread. Please go to our Windows Forum for help with your problem. Start a new topic there, and someone will be happy to help you out.

elshowgun

elshowgun

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
do i need to back up anything from the c drive??IE the windows file?

frisky_frosty

frisky_frosty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hhmm dm found the problem

Edited by frisky_frosty, 28 October 2006 - 10:18 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I do sympathize with the issues threaded herein. I often will enter the prob into a google search and let it go find some solutions, before I start pulling my hair out.

And I apologize if I've missed something...but not once did I find anyone considering downloading the MS install prog which you put on a set of floppies:

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q310994

Of course, this assumes that you have a floppy drive, which newer computers do not have...and which we all should demand that they do have! DOS maybe archaic, but sometimes it's the only option available.

Nor, have I read of any suggestion of, upon a fresh install, set it up on a partition that is separate from all other progs.

Nor, have I read of any suggestion of burning all valuble stuff to CDs and then scrubbing the drive and reinstalling as a last resort...

Just my humble opinions...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

And I apologize if I've missed something...but not once did I find anyone considering downloading the MS install prog which you put on a set of floppies:

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q310994

you deffinitely won't see the suggestions to download the XP setup floppies in a tutorial about preforming a REPAIR INSTALLATION...as you cannot do such a thing with the floppies.

Of course, this assumes that you have a floppy drive, which newer computers do not have...and which we all should demand that they do have! DOS maybe archaic, but sometimes it's the only option available.

another reason you won't see the XP setup floppies suggested often

Nor, have I read of any suggestion of, upon a fresh install, set it up on a partition that is separate from all other progs.

this tutorial is about A REPAIR INSTALLATION. NOT a new installation...you don't exactly get the option to repartition when you run a repair...nor is it neccessary

Nor, have I read of any suggestion of burning all valuble stuff to CDs and then scrubbing the drive and reinstalling as a last resort...

....once again....this thread is about a REPAIR INSTALLATION 99% of the time there is no data lost during a repair installation...while it's always a good idea to back your system up before doing something drastic with your computer...USUALLY when a repair installation is being done...you didn't exactly have the ability to backup the sytem first...

maybe you should at least read the title of the thread you're posting in before you start...or quite possibly some of the actual posts in it...

conanlabiche

conanlabiche

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello to anyone who can assist:
:whistling:
i am going to upgrade my motherboard from asus p5ld2 deluxe (i945p chipset) to asus p5b deluxe (965 chipset)
i read your instructions and they look doable for me.
one question that i just thought of was: i have my hard drive partitioned into 2 sections, C:\local disc and D:\programs. when i am on the screen that shows the drive where windows is in and i need to press R for repair, will i loose all the stuff i have in the D:\programs partition?
will it have both C:\local disc and D:\programs listed? or will it only show one drive since in reality i only have one, just partitioned into two?
should i be concerned about that? :blink:

thank you very much for your help

-conan

Advertisements

lancebass

lancebass

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
What if your CD will not boot the console?? I have replaced my mother board, now my HP disks no longer recognize my computer as the proper model for the disks. What can I do? I also can not boot into safe mode.

eddsamuelson

eddsamuelson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
With a message and a blue screen and now way to launch windows, I completed a Windows XP re-installation. In doing this, I created a second folder, ´windows2.´ I have recovered from the blue screen, and can launch windows.

QUESTION: how do i get the applications, documents and photos from my original installation (windows folder) to appear in my new Windows XP installation (windows2 folder)?

thanks

edd

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Please don't post questions in this thread, as they won't get answered. This thread is left open for the purpose of posting comments about the tutorial. If you need help with your Windows XP repair, please post in our Windows XP forum.

bcfcsal

bcfcsal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello, after following your instructions i got to the Welcome to Windows Setup pressed enter and instead of the Licensing agreement to appear A blue screen with , Windows XP home edition setup
and at the bottom of the screen it reads
Examining 38163 MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi ....

any chance of any help?
thanks. :whistling:

Peterchen

Peterchen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer was fine 2 days ago, but after i came home one day, when i turn on the computer, it wont go to windows, it wont even load, it just have a black screen. is it a virus or a hardware problem? how do i fix it without having to loose my files?