Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I am wanting to perform a "Repair" install of XP Home Edition. I have an OEM version of Windows so no XP CD to boot. I only have the 'Recovery Tool CD & Recovery Discs' available. I don't think I can use the Recovery Discs or Recovery Tools CD to do a repair, right? If not, then what things can I use for a "Repair" install? What about Bart's PE or using another family members XP boot CD? I already have a Bart's PE boot disc made just to have if needed. Thanks guys & help is appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

cartzz

cartzz

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I've got a PC that started freezing constantly just recently and have no idea why that stared happening. If i clean out all the old files i no longer need and free up some disk space, will this process maybe get rid of the freezing problem?

killmytrojans

killmytrojans

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
Love the guide, half way through it

however i have 2 partitions: 1 with all the system files, etc. and the other with most of my applications/documents, is there anyway i can save both, which one should i select when it asks me too select one, i do not want to lose any data on either of them, is there anyway to do this,

get back to me asap, i do not want to have to pay £100 to get some guy to tell me what i already know.
Thanks,
JJ

MorganaD

MorganaD

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Landlord,
Thanks for your reply. The CD I loaded was Operating System CD, and I got all the way to the selection to install it or set up a partition, no sign of an option for repairing it. does this mean it is beyond repair? If this is the case that means all of my files will be lost and I have been working on a huge research project. I have a driver recovery CD and an Application Recovery CD, and that is it. Should I have used one of those instead.

If I can't get into it at all, should I let a repair technician into it to recover my files, but maybe he can't get into it either.

Thank you so much for your help,
Morgana

jiwidi

jiwidi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

For some reason it asked me for an administrators passcode?

The default password is blank, unless you've created an administrator password .

Hi guys,

I have been going through the repair option. For some reason, windows now asks me for an administrator's password after I have selected the installation of windows to use. I do not remember assigning a password, yet when I enter a blank password (ie just hit enter), I get a message that I have entered an incorrect password.

I had a look at the password options in the BIOS and they were all disabled so not sure what to do here.

Any ideas.

James
Sydney, Australia

titan7342

titan7342

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I am having internet slow down problems on 1 of my 2 pc's, could doing this fix that problem? I hae scanned for viruses, spyware, adware, and malware but I haven't turned anything up. I am starting to think that maybe it is a windows problem. My other pc internet speeds are fine and both pc's are connected the same way via wireless router.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

Please don't post questions in this thread, as they won't get answered. This thread is left open for the purpose of posting comments about the tutorial. If you need help with your Windows XP repair, please post in our Windows XP forum.

*LindaGail says "AMEN" sari

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for posting this post.I knew that windows allows us to repair but since i never used it i always used to select second opeting i.e repair for the first time when it asks what to do.Thanks for this post.

heartlessguy21

heartlessguy21

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have P4 3.0 ghz...with intel original 915 motherboard..80 gb sata hadd...i not getting option of repairing windows....pls help

killer12

killer12

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Ok um, i have a windows Xp cd and it's product key. Even tho i used the Product key already can i still use it to reformat my computer and using that product key to register? it's on the same computer.

Advertisements

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

i have P4 3.0 ghz...with intel original 915 motherboard..80 gb sata hadd...i not getting option of repairing windows....pls help

you can repair your your pc if you read this post
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html .

akeem

akeem

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
hi my mate has a problem with his xp at the moment. he gets this message

ashDisp.exe
unable to locate componet because aswCmnOS.dll.

he has tried a restore, but it never completes.

thanks in advance

malleficent

malleficent

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've had some problems lately with my Dell Inspiron 9100 shutting off. I figured out that it's loose where the power cord goes into the back of the computer. I rigged it up so that the cord would sit still and I would still be able to use the laptop while I wait for my new one to get here since it's definitely time for an upgrade. It has shut off a few times when I was doing something on it so I'm worried that something is damaged. It will run through the DELL startup screen, then onto the XP start screen but after that finished it stops at the black screen that is usually right before I get the user login screen. It sits at the screen forever, I let it go for about an hour. No error messages or anything, just will not fully boot windows xp home. I never received an xp disc with my laptop so I decided I'd try to use my boyfriend's XP pro SP2 disc that he has not used yet to try and boot from that. I booted from the disc and ran a diagnostic on it. The following are all errors I received running it:

*DST short status test
Error Code: 1000-0142

*Error Code 3700:011B
Expected low fan RPM of 2000 Detected RPM = 4617

* Error Code 0F00:0244
Msg: Block 22092124 Uncorrectable Data Error or media is write protected
Msg: Block 37105255 Uncorrectable Data Error or media is write protected

*Error Code 0F00:1A44
Msg: Block 22092124 Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected
Msg: Block 37105255

After a lot of research online the suggestions I found were that it was either a problem with the HD or with some Windows Registry Hive Files. I decided to try the repair in hopes of fixing the problems and maybe salvaging some of my things (I have a seperate partition, E, with all my photos, music, files) I followed the instructions to run the repair but it just hangs at the "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows..." for hours on end. I actually let it go for about 3 hours when I tried that this afternoon and finally had to shut it off. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this or at least figure out exactly what is corrupted would be much appreciated. Also if it sounds like I'm totally screwed with fixing it, how can I get my files on E from that laptop onto my new laptop since I can't even get Windows booted up fully? Thanks so much for your time and hopefully someone is able to assist because I am nearing my wits end and may just throw this thing at the wall. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Please don't post questions in this thread, as they won't get answered. This thread is left open for the purpose of posting comments about the tutorial. If you need help with your Windows XP repair, please post in our Windows XP forum.

*LindaGail says "AMEN" sari

*AHEM*

Please do not post in here asking for help! Click on this link and start a new topic - you will receive "personalised" help shortly. :)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
After running a repair, you may find that Windows Update refuses to install the most recent 80 patches. This is because the latest version of Windows Update is broken, and doesn't register some DLLs if they're previously been registered (as happens with a repair install). Here's a work around until they get it fixed:
  • Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
    • Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    • At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
      net stop wuauserv
      exit
  • Register the file that is used by Windows Update and Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps:
    • At the command prompt, type the following command, press ENTER after the command, and then click OK when you receive a verification message:
      regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
      Note: for x64 machines regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
  • Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
    • At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
      net start wuauserv
      exit
edit: New knowledge base article on this issue, and a post on the Microsoft Update Blog.

Edited by admin, 02 October 2007 - 09:35 AM.
Updated with KB and blog post