Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

mooseye

mooseye

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

By that you mean you can run system restore point in dos? how? what must i write if it were to happen to mee?

used the dos? commands to change the dir. to C:\system~1\_resto~1\rp? (where you would choose a number for the rp from your restore point list to replace the ?) \snapshot ,and then type in the command> copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system .
When asked if you want to overwrite choose y. Then type exit and hit enter. Computer should restart and hopefully work correctly.

Advertisements

Canorro

Canorro

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Ok i think i understand thx

kwall65

kwall65

• Pip
  • 3 posts
windows xp pro sp 1
AMD 2600 semperon
g4 5500 video card
80 gig hdd
20 gig hdd
512 ram
runs @ ABOUT 102 degrees
i got unmountable boot volume
then tried to run the xp repair
got ntldr is missing
replaced the ntldr and ntdetect.exe
then got vgaoem.fon error when trying to load windows and get to the repair center
i dont know what to do now
still getting UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME when trying to get into windows

Edited by kwall65, 29 February 2008 - 11:14 AM.

mooseye

mooseye

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

windows xp pro sp 1
AMD 2600 semperon
g4 5500 video card
80 gig hdd
20 gig hdd
512 ram
runs @ ABOUT 102 degrees
i got unmountable boot volume
then tried to run the xp repair
got ntldr is missing
replaced the ntldr and ntdetect.exe
then got vgaoem.fon error when trying to load windows and get to the repair center
i dont know what to do now
still getting UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME when trying to get into windows

CAUSE
1.The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.
2.You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
3.The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
If it be the connector cable problem then replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable.
If it's a BIOS settings problem then load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support.

If it's a damaged file system case then:-
1.Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2.When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4.When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5.At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6.At the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=297185

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q314058

If the above process fails to restore the system then in the number#5 step use fixboot command instead of the chkdsk /r command.

kwall65

kwall65

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Posted Image
at this screen i get the vgaoen.fon error
exact error message
File\FPPP\ vgaoen.fon COULD NOT BE LOADED
ERROR CODE 8192

in the bios unit will not load in failsafe either

all cables look to be 80 pin cant really tell my buddy put all new fans and these wrapped purple cables that glow when the lights are on
(its my sons computer ) :)
I have 3 Xp cd's 1 8 in 1
1 on dvd
1 on cd
dvd will not read in dos
duh lol

Edited by kwall65, 29 February 2008 - 11:31 AM.

mooseye

mooseye

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Did you mean you cannot get to safe mode?
There is a key to press when starting that should take you to a boot choice screen.
Can you get to that?

kwall65

kwall65

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Image
at this screen i get the vgaoen.fon error
exact error message
File\FPPP\ vgaoen.fon COULD NOT BE LOADED
ERROR CODE 8192

in the bios unit will not load in failsafe either

all cables look to be 80 pin cant really tell my buddy put all new fans and these wrapped purple cables that glow when the lights are on
(its my sons computer ) :)
I have 3 Xp cd's 1 8 in 1
1 on dvd
1 on cd
dvd will not read in dos
duh lol

Safe mode is a no go

I can get into dos
and load cd rom drivers and copy files if need be

mooseye

mooseye

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Have you installed a media player receintly? That error code seems to be associated with programs such as ac3.

Helpster

Helpster

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for this. Good tutorial, may come in handy.

DFool

DFool

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there,

Just read your repair doco and its very good...However I have an issue which im trying to work out whether you think a "repair" XP could indeed solve the problem

My father has a very intresting and frustrating problem. The problem is that on his PC he doesnt seem to be able to add a scanner in XP

In this case it is a Brother All in one Printer Scanner, DPC 150C. Now when you run the drivers auto install from the cd, it will install the printer drivers but not the scanner ones. It simply says it failed. Printing is fine.

When I go to the control panel and "Scanners and Digital Cameras" Nothing shows up. The killer blow is when I click on Add a new device in that subcategory, it doesn't begin to search or do anything. No extra prompt or selection for any new hardware.
I'ts like you haven't even clicked anything..

When I add a new printer or any other device in its own sub category thru control panel XP responds like it should giving me options etc. When i try in Scanners and Cameras, nothing. When I try "Add new Hardware" Scanner/Digital Cameras" also are not an option shown.

Its like the registry for that ability has become screwed.

Was going to try repair XP as a last resort? I don't know what else to do. Id really like to not have to rebuild..

I am however very comfy with regedit should i need to go in there..

What you think? He is on SP2 which i can always install again after repair..

Your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
DF

Advertisements

mooseye

mooseye

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Have you tried just using the scanner to see if you get a result? If you go to say,your photo editing program, and just try to import a photo from scanner what do you see happining?
Also, you might try uninstalling the printer in device manager and reboot and see if xp has the drivers onboard. Some times it is better to let xp do the installation and not use the supplied driver/installation disc at all.
On the other hand, some devices need to be connected when the drivers are installed and some need the software installed first before connecting the hardware. Try doing search for your device on the net and/or read any readme files on the disc that came with.

DFool

DFool

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Have you tried just using the scanner to see if you get a result? If you go to say,your photo editing program, and just try to import a photo from scanner what do you see happining?
Also, you might try uninstalling the printer in device manager and reboot and see if xp has the drivers onboard. Some times it is better to let xp do the installation and not use the supplied driver/installation disc at all.
On the other hand, some devices need to be connected when the drivers are installed and some need the software installed first before connecting the hardware. Try doing search for your device on the net and/or read any readme files on the disc that came with.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a feeling its bigger than just drivers. We had an original scanner before this one a Cannon to be exact where the OS would find the hardware but when u went to install the drivers on it simply would say there was a problem with the device.... When I tried using the windows drivers on it it simply had the same problem. However i know it wasn't the hardware as it worked fine when i attached to my laptop.

When we went into the scan app it couldnt see it. :)

DF

mooseye

mooseye

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
That would seem to indicate that it is not a problem with the scanner/printer. I have had usb recepticals go bad. I would suppose that you have tried it in a different usb socket on the problem unit. Maybe a port issue?

DBacon

DBacon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've posted this in the main section as well, but I didn't know if I should post this here. If you need to remove/move it somewhere else, that's fine by me.

Here's what happened.

About 2 months ago I loaded a fresh copy of XP onto my second harddrive. So I had an original copy on the C drive, and a new copy on E.

I was using the E copy and everything was great.

I decided I no longer needed the C copy anymore. So I deleted it and formatted it using the harddrive's format utility through DOS (this was probably a bad idea).

I then tried to load my computer, and I got "Cannot Find OS"

I realized looking at the BIOS that it was trying to start the PC off of C. The BIOS refuses to let me choose E drive as the startup instead of C, so I thought I'd just load a basic copy of Windows onto C again that I'd keep near as clean as possible so that I'd always have a backup.

I loaded XP onto C, and it loads just fine. The problem is that it won't give me the option to load windows from E anymore.

When I load from the XP Disk, it gives me the option to choose E to repair, but fixboot and bootcfg cannot find E:\Windows as an OS option.

I tried to repair by reinstall, but it won't find E:\Windows either.

How do I get my E:\Windows back? I really don't want to have to transfer everything back over to C:\Windows.

I can only see the boot.ini for C:\windows which doesn't have anything for the E: copy.

Please Help!

Thanks!

PARIAH

PARIAH

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
What if it says that files necessary for windows to run properly (like it ever did) 'have been replaced with unrecognized' ones- and you don't have the CD?