Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Windows XP

Windows Repair How-to XP

• Please log in to reply

George Pyl

George Pyl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys, After the ''end user licence agreement'' it s not show me the same text as yours. It shows to me ''The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer. to install press enter, to create a partition to unpartitioned space press c, to delete the chosen partition press d'' and then it shows me the partitions. I hope i did good translation...

Plz help me...

Edited by George Pyl, 29 December 2011 - 05:44 AM.

Advertisements

THX1136

THX1136

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I started doing a repair on XP following the directions here. I retrieved the "key" and gathered any other info I needed. Things went well until asked for the product key. After inputting the key I receive the notice that it is not valid. Triple checked the key against the info retrieved by MagicJelly.. and the code tag on the PC. I have it entered correctly. This PC "powers up" with the Dell screen although it is not a Dell computer. It is my manager's PC that was here when this business was established. I do not know who did the original installs although I suspect it was a professional firm. We do not have the original discs as I believe this was an OEM install. The key for Office, which has "OEM" in it's key, leads me to that conclusion. What should my next step be? I haven't searched within this topic to see if this is addressed.

THX1136

THX1136

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I realized I left this info out of my post question. I am using a "genuine" XP disc I borrowed from a friend to do the repair. Also, by trying some things I came up with the answer to my query. The key for the other users PC was written on the case of the disc. I inputted that number and the process was allowed to continue. Will this have repercussions down the line since the key is not identical to the original key for the PC? I apologize in advance if this needs to be in another forum. Thanks for any help offered.

1kgigout

1kgigout

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I tried to repair xp just like you described and part of the way through it comes up with a lot of files that it can't install from the rsource cd. It will say there is an error and you can continue but the file won't be installed and some of them will say that windows may not operate properly without them. One of them I noticed was iexplore.exe. Sure enough I was able to get back to the desktop but internet explorer would not open so I could go to the windows update sight and get all the updates after the repair. This is the cd that came with my dell computer. What would cause it not to be able to install the files from the cd? This all came about after a power blip and then the computer would not boot up again even in safe mode, so I did the repair. Any help would be very much appreciated. I did a hard drive diagnostic and a memory also and it is good. Thanks

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Could have been a dirty or scratched CD. Usually a repair will be successful when skipping a few files. The more you skip the lower the chance of success. Chances are your system is in need of a service pack update. I would try installing the service pack, it should resolve any outstanding issues.

Bark Buster

Bark Buster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What if you don't have the CD?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
See this link: Lost your Windows discs? How to get replacement media, legally

a2pw

a2pw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Had a virus, which I went and paid Norton to fix. Now I find I am missing all my administrative tools, Sonic, and some of the basic XP programs. I didn't notice things were missing for about 2 months, so I can't go back to Norton. I tried to reinstall XP but can't due to there being a "previous windows already installed", namely my current XP. How do I get the basic programing back?

pheonix497

pheonix497

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm going to paste what I wrote on the other website.

My computer can't locate the boot device that was previously on there, so I have tried many things, but no luck. I'm trying to reinstall windows xp, I get to the page where it says "the following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer" I can not click up,D, or ENTER without my computer getting a blue screen that says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". Also it says all my partitions are unknown disks, and there is no disk in this drive but there is and i know that. Do you know how to fix this problem that I have had for almost a month now????

vearleca

vearleca

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It seemed like watching an old movie to read the post on XP programs which will not start. In my case it appeared very suddenly and I thought it was likely a virus. So I followed the suggestions in the virus related topic, but after using the AVG file I was told there was no virus involved. So I turned to this topic. I am using an HP Compaq notebook which does not really have a place in its booting order for CD Rom. It allows you to enable the use of a CD Rom but not to place it in the table of priority for booting. There are spaces for USB hard disks but no for the CD Rom. Nevertheless I have managed twice to get my XP Professional disk to boot and it proceeds to assemble all the system program but then won't start the setup because it says it cannot find a hard drive installation on the computer. I think the hard drive is there alright, and activity on it shows on the LED all the time. So I don't know where to go from there. Have any of you public spirited guys any suggestions?
Earfles

Advertisements

a2pw

a2pw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. I have tried to repair my Windows XP using the disk. However, when I restart after inserting the disk, I get the popup; cannot install, a version of windows is already in use. That IS Windows XP, with all the updates, service packs, etc. It won't let me do anything! Should I uninstall, then try reinstalling XP again?

Grudzien77

Grudzien77

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This absolutely did not work at all. Computer couldn't repair itself or start up.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

This absolutely did not work at all. Computer couldn't repair itself or start up.

Sadly a repair install does not just magically fix all problems (although it would be nice!). Sounds like you have possibly hardware issues. If you need any further help create a new topic and we'll be glad to take a look.

sharmaji2012

sharmaji2012

• Pip
  • 3 posts
good thanks!

Jen K

Jen K

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Getting error " Windows\System32\Config\system". When I go into repair mode from disc screen reads, "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?". Can you give me any pointers???