Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet home page been changed

• Please log in to reply

PAUL2a2

PAUL2a2

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi all HELP i opend a folder with packer bell info inside while i was loking for reg details- since then packe bell trys to take over my internet home page, I have a start page reminder and i have the opption to keep it as it is and change it back to normal . i have let it change2 packer bell than changed it back but next time i turn the comp on it was back again i have windows xp.
Also a sepperate box comes up from nurton security =runner error invalid back web application id 4448364 is this any thing to do with this also .
I tried system restor i thought it would fix the problem, but it failed to work saying the system is turning of to quick, it use to work fine bloody computers i am disabeld and this is getting me down can any one help thanks =pete :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you change anything after opening the folder

Can you run Norton Live Update, then reboot

PAUL2a2

PAUL2a2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks keith 4 reply,when i opend the packer bell file it would only let me close it down if i ticked yes 4 it to change the home page, other than pull the plug out ot the socket i had to say yes . norton is working fine it stops packer bell every time i go on the internet it pop up saying it 's triying to change the home page yes or no .it sound mad but i new 2 computing is a reboot turning of and on the computer .any idea why system restore dont work any more ? thanks keith 4 the reply keep up the good work you give hope in a wilderness .

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which version of IE do you use?

PAUL2a2

PAUL2a2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
HI I USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6,=THANKS

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click help, click about to get the version of IE

On a web page click tools, click internet options, click delete files, include offline content, click delete cookies, click clear history

Browse to the home page you want, click tools, internet options, for home page, click use current, click apply

Click start, click run, type prefetch then press enter, in the folder which opens, click edit, click select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Restart the PC

Has Norton got a remember this decision box to tick and click apply?

PAUL2a2

PAUL2a2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi thanks keith 4 your reply,ill health stops me from responding quickly , i have tried what you have said and norton has a remember this box .i let p/bell take over the home page then set it back to my regular one , turn of then back on but the startpage reminger still comes up telling me p/bell triying to change the home page .the problem is causd by the packer bell activsurf that i activated by mistake this has caused the other error box that norton keeps bringing up as well runner error invalid back web id 4448364 as this activsurf is powerd by back web tecknology .i turned the bloody thing on but there is no way to turn it off and packer bell been sent 30 emails 4 help and dont respong at all , i wont ever buy there products again .has any one got anyanswers how to swich activ surch of and stop it tacking over the home page thank keith -paul :blink: :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Clear the prefetch folder again

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, look for active surf or P/Bell and remove the tick(s), click apply and reboot

When it gets to the desktop, tick do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

You may need to browse to the web page you want as the home page, click tools, internet options, click use current, click apply

PAUL2a2

PAUL2a2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
THANKS KEITH I WILL TRY -PAUL

PAUL2a2

PAUL2a2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
KEITH THANKS I TRIED YOUR LAST MESSAGE ALL SEEMS WELL YOUR ARE THE MAIN MAN ,START MSCONFIG SEEM TO WORK I UNTICKED 3 ITEMS AFTER TRAIL AND EROR ,ALL BACK 2 NORMAL MANY THANKS , ANY IDEA HOW TO GET SYSTEM RESTOR BACK TO WORK AS IT WONT LET ME GO BACK ,IT USE TO WORK UNTILL THIS HAPPEND OR IS IT JUST BAD LOOK BOTH HAPPEND AT THE SAME TIME.I HOPE I CAN HELP SOME ONE IN THE FUTURE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ALL THE BEST YOU ARE ACE =PAUL.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Possibly bad luck

Is the PC running well at the moment, if so, the thing to do is turn system restore off, reboot the PC, turn system restore on, create a restore point, then try and restore it 24 hours later

If it restores then you can create another restore point and try it in 48 hours and so on

IMO, restore points are good for a week, beyond that they can be choosy about working

You could set a restore point before installing anything, install and run the programme to check for any errors, if there are any then you would simply use the pre-install restore point within minutes and so it will be more likely to restore properly

If system restore won't run after clearing the points and setting new ones then there is an option to repair system restore

PAUL2a2

PAUL2a2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks keith will do that al the best see you soon =paul

PAUL2a2

PAUL2a2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi keith all is ok ,do you know if the registry smart is ok safe to use as i was thinking to use it, or is it one that scans your system then charges you to remove there bugs that they leave on your system- thanks =paul.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is a fully functional trial version

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor