Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro sp2 disk question

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I was given a laptop with a fresh install ( all legal ) of Windows XP Pro. But I was not give the xp disk with the laptop. I have a XP Pro sp2 disk that I have already used on a different system (also legal).

I'm a little worried if something happens that I will have to buy another xp pro disk to install. Can I use the disk that I have used on the other system to restall windows (If it's ever needed) if I know what the product key is on the laptop?

If so, How would I find the product key on the laptop?

Or is there a way to make a recovery disk or something like this?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the version on the laptop the same as the CD?

If the laptop is SP1 then it would expect an SP1 CD for the product key

http://www.magicalje...keyfinder.shtml

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Both are sp2 The laptop and the cd.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Then you use the product key applicable to the PC you are using it on, either for repair installs or clean installs

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Just so I'm understanding you right.

The disk (XP Pro sp2) that I have install on my desktop now. Can also be used with the laptop if it is ever needed for repair or clean install? That is after I get the product key from the laptop.

Right?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
No. Each systems requires a unique license.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You have a laptop and a desktop and each have a product key sticker / their own product keys?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

You have a laptop and a desktop and each have a product key sticker / their own product keys?

The desk top has had windows reinstalled clean. The product key (number you have to enter to finish install) was with the disk. Which is legal and I have this disk.

The laptop has a clean install of the windows as the above. But this system had ME in it first. So the product code on the laptop is for ME not XP. Our I.T. person wiped and install XP Pro but didn't give me the disk.

So my question is

If I ever had to use the xp disk from the desktop to repair or reinstall on my laptop. Could I use the product key that is on the laptop now with the disk from the desktop.

Sorry, I know what I want to say I just can't figure out how to word it. I don't mean to confuse anyone. I think I'm a little confused now..lol

Edited by duley3, 10 November 2006 - 05:20 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For the laptop, check how he installed it and the validity of the key. He may have used volume licensing, so you would need to know

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

For the laptop, check how he installed it and the validity of the key.

What do you mean by how he installed it? If this help I know that he had to clean the harddrive because my boss was worried about company info still being there after it was given to me.

As far as it be a valid key (if you mean a legal copy) I know it is because I'm abouy yo get all the updates and things from Microsoft. I talking about the geniune advantage things IE7, Windows Defender, Media player 11, and more. Is this what you mean?

He may have used volume licensing, so you would need to know

I'm sure he did. Because he has been doing other systems in our company the last few weeks. I sure he hasn't bought a different disk for each system.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What you need to check with him is the type of disc he used, in case the product key is specific to the type

If you get Microsoft Updates the genuine advantage programmes should also install

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Sorry about the spelling mistakes in post 10.. I guess it's too early for me...lol

genuine advantage programmes should also install

I do have the other programmes installed. So when you say "validity of the key" this mean it's a valid key right? Or do I need to do something else to check the validity of the key?

I'm a little worried about contacting our I T person. I don't know if my boss told him that he gave me the laptop. I don't want to get anyone in deep BEEP over this. Or have to return the laptop.

If I contact him and ask if he could make me a copy of the disk he used and send it with the product key would this work? Or is making a copy of the disk not legal?

Edited by duley3, 11 November 2006 - 08:49 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You only need the product key, providing there is nothing special about it because it is likely to be volume licensing

As things are, you can most likely use the disc and product key you have for the laptop

As long as you use a product key only once

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay thanks

I was hoping I could do this. Just incase I ever had to repair or reinstall.

Thanks again :whistling:

One more question

This might be a dumb one but here it is

The product key and the license are the same thing just different terms right?

Edited by duley3, 11 November 2006 - 10:30 AM.