Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Kid Messed My Puter up AGAIN! LOL!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Feisty

Feisty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Do you mean for me to do that in safe mode or in reg mode?

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Whatever mode suits you best; I have no real preference.

I will only read logs and interpret them to move on.

Feisty

Feisty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I'm very sorry to try your patience, but I'm not understanding.

You had given me a set of instructions to do in safe mode which included a HT scan. No HT file in safe mode and you told me to do the previous d/l but it doesn't matter?

I must be mixing up what you are saying.

Going back to your original post of instructions, it said to do HT in safe mode. Are you now wanting me to run it in reg mode or.........? :whistling:

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
With respect, when you write what you did, what should I assume?

Do you mean for me to do that in safe mode or in reg mode?

Well I assumed that you were referring to my previous post:

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=836670

Which focuses on installing HJT, I have absolutely no reason to assume you are referring to something else.

I have loads of patience, but please be clear in what you want me to address.

My original instructions have been good for over 10,000 posts so far.

Feisty

Feisty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
You said in origin instructions that you wanted me to run HT is safe mode.

We finally made it down to where I was able to try to do that and I then informed you that it wasn't on desktop in SM.

Your next instruction were re how to DL it and I simply asked if you meant in safe or normal mode.
You said it didn't matter so I'm confused on if you still want me to try to d/l and/or run it in safe or reg or if you simply want me to post a new log from the new icon on the desktop that I went ahead and did in reg mode.
In other words, do the initial instructions (the ones you gave me in the very beginning that you later told me to still follow), still apply as far as safe mode goes? I mean is what you are saying is that you want me to do in reg mode now?

You said you wouldn't get mad but you sound like you are.

Edited by Feisty, 15 November 2006 - 07:46 PM.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
You are confusing anger, which I do not suffer from, with logic.

My original instructions stand.

Please note that if you go into safe mode, you will not have access to the internet, in which case you cannot download anything. If you selected safe mode with networking, you can download, but you will not have any AV protection, so that is not what I would call "safe" at all and I would not therefore give instructions to do so.

For future reference, it will assist me greatly if when replying, you can tell me where you are with the fix, or like you did in your last response, explain what you mean fully; I am useless at guessing.

Feisty

Feisty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi Bloke.

I will try to explain my confusion more clearly.

Here is a copy of a section of your original instructions. If you will notice it tells me to do one long scan in safe mode and to ALSO do a Hijackthis scan before rebooting back to normal mode. Being as HT was not on the desktop in safe mode I asked you about it and you told me to download it when it was already on my desktop in normal mode. Where am I messing up?

Safe Mode

In Safe Mode, load AVGas and click on the Scanner tab at the top and then click on Complete System Scan. This scan can take quite a while to run, so be patient.

AVGas will list any infections found on the left hand side. When the scan has finished, it will automatically set the recommended action. Click the Apply all actions button. AVGas will display "All actions have been applied" on the right hand side.

Click on "Save Report", then "Save Report As". This will create a text file. Make sure you know where to find this file again (I suggest the Desktop).

Please ensure you post that log in your reply.

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.creaf.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://as.starware.c...8bYFQyDr9GPPUY=
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://as.starware.c...9CBsnZL04Dgs9o=
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {45A4902E-4479-4EAE-A186-8D0F7E4C78DE} - C:\Program Files\Starware316\bin\Starware316.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Starware316 - {9FB3908C-6565-4CB0-95F8-E9F85258723C} - C:\Program Files\Starware316\bin\Starware316.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.creaf.com

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked.

Please set your system to show all files; please see here if you're unsure how to do this.

Please delete these folders (if present) using Windows Explorer:

C:\Program Files\Starware316\

Close Windows Explorer and Reboot normally

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again Feisty

I see absolutely nothing confusing in my instructions. Allow me to elucidate upon your plight with the disappearing HJT programme.

You saved it to YOUR desktop, then when you logged on in safe mode you couldn't find it. I explained to you that it was probably because you were using a different logon in safe mode and therefore seeing a different desktop. Frankly I didn't consider your PC skills to be such that I could ask you to move the programme into it's own folder (am I right in my assumption?).

I therefore decided that the best course of action would be for you to run an auto HJT setup, which makes its own folder and installs HJT into it. Please check C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe and see that this is now present.

Safe mode is used since it stops many start up programmes being loaded by Windows. This has the effect of allowing fewer programmes being memory resident and in use, so they should delete easier. Some people are unable to achieve safe mode due to malware and for those people I always say "Do the best you can and if that means doing everything in normal mode, so be it, I will adjust the system later"

To paraphrase that, I would prefer you to follow my instructions but if you can't, just do the best you can.

We have now been corresponding for a week and this is post number 23. I am in no hurry as I do this everyday (except when I am not well) and my computer is fine so I have no urgency. I am happy to work at your speed, but can I point out to you, if you are not aware that it is unusual to fix a PC with one fix. Normally the first fix will do part of the job and by reviewing the changes another one or more may be necessary.

If the PC has been in use since I saw the original HJT log, it is unlikely to be true representation of the system today, since it was a snapshot of the registry at that time, which means further adjustments being necessary.

Edited by Crustyoldbloke, 17 November 2006 - 04:01 AM.

Feisty

Feisty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello bloke.

To be honest with you I am tired of your hateful attitude. I have recommended many people to this website based on my first experience here which was excellent but I am tired of you talking down to me. If I were knowledgeable re puters I wouldn't have come here to begin with.

I have been nothing but polite to you and you have done nothing but smart off to me. I was told by the first very polite young man ('geek') that I dealt with here that most people that ask for advice don't pay to begin with and I was totally prepared to send you a sum for helping me but simple questions seem to send you into a tizzy. Perhaps your instructions are not as clear as you seem to think they are when you cannot answer simple questions of mine.

I would like to deal with a nicer geek. Good Day.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts

To be honest with you I am tired of your hateful attitude. I have recommended many people to this website based on my first experience here which was excellent but I am tired of you talking down to me. If I were knowledgeable re puters I wouldn't have come here to begin with.

Well, I have tried my best to be polite and understanding towards you, but you appear to be looking for something to criticise all of the time rather than just get on with the task. I am not hateful towards anyone.

I have been nothing but polite to you and you have done nothing but smart off to me.

You have consistently called me something other than my name. What is a Hon? Honky perhaps?

I was told by the first very polite young man ('geek') that I dealt with here that most people that ask for advice don't pay to begin with and I was totally prepared to send you a sum for helping me but simple questions seem to send you into a tizzy.

I don't expect anyone to pay, it is however pleasant when they do. I have never been in a tizzy (whatever that is).

Perhaps your instructions are not as clear as you seem to think they are when you cannot answer simple questions of mine.

Perhaps they are to the other people that use this site. I have made around 10,500 posts to date and I have never had a problem getting through to people in the past.

I would like to deal with a nicer geek. Good Day.

Let's hope that you are lucky and someone will help you.

I have given you a perfectly reasonable explanation of everything, but it would appear that you do not like to admit fault and that is why you are now attacking me. As your choice of name suggests, you are feisty.

I am sorry if I did not live up to your expectations.

At your request this thread is closed.

Edited by Crustyoldbloke, 18 November 2006 - 08:07 AM.

Advertisements