Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

AC Adapters for Inspiron 9100?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts
As if it weren't enough that the discontinued Inspiron 9100 is a behemoth... the AC adapter weighs like 5 pounds! I was curious if there were alternatives to the Dell AC adapter. I'd like to be able to use my laptop on the go, but that extra 5 bulky lbs on top of the already gigantic laptop is toooo heavy. Are there compatible alternatives out there that Dell doesn't want me to know about?

I've looked into it and found some universal adapters that come with like 15 port plug options, as well as a nifty looking iGo adapter that is like 20 bucks. Are they wastes?

What if I use the cord end that goes from the laptop to the adapter box WITH another adapter? What do I have to worry about, voltage? Will that cord fit something else?

Thanks for the help,

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
with dells you have to worry about the fact that GENERALLY they make their power adapters in such a way...where you HAVE to have a dell adapter to use it...there's a specific data cable within the adapter that signals the pc....if the LT doesn't get that signal...it doesn't recognize the adapter and gives you an error on boot and i think it disables the jack so that it pretty much stops working untill you put a dell adapter back in....there's a chance that the LT you have is old enough to have been made before they started doing this