Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to locate operating system.

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I'm running a custom build, and I'm trying to do a fresh install of XP Pro SP2 (Student Edition) on a SATA hard drive. After the format of the drive, the short installation of files, and the automatic restart; I get the message: "Unable to locate operating system" and then nothing happens. So basically I've got absolutely no OS to work with.

I have tried this with two different drives and I still get the same error. Both of these drives have had windows installed on them before. I have another small drive on the way, but I have little hope that it'll solve my problem.
:whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it set to boot from the CD ROM first then the hard drive

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Yes it is. I've even tried formatting then going into the bios right after the start and making the HD the first boot device. But that didn't work either.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you use F6 on the install to load the SATA drives

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
No I havent. And I'm not sure how I would either. You mean RAID drivers right? I don't use RAID, and in all of my previous installs I havent done that either.