Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp 64 Bit

• Please log in to reply

Stylin

Stylin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a AMD 64 Bit Processor and i need to know can i run Xp Pro Original ? Or do i need to be running Xp 64 Bit Version, not sure what i should use.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
XP Pro is still prefered, unless you have applications that specifically need Windows XP Pro x64. To clarify: Running a 64 bit processor does not mean you have to run 64 bit Windows.

cplcac

cplcac

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I was wondering...Why did you say xp pro is still preferred???

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Unless you're running applications that specifically use and take advantage of XP x64, all you gain by switching to it are compatilibity issues with existing hardware and programs.

cplcac

cplcac

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I didn't mean anything bad by my question it is just, I have been running x64 for about 1 yr, and have had nothing but compatibility issues-and must search the web / software sites for proper drivers for nearly everything I have installed. However, though I do enjoy using the x64 bit version I run x32 bit as well just because of these incompatibility issues--there really isn't much of a difference between the two programs.

You see, when I built my system, the person I had helping me talked me into geting the AMD X64 processor that was mentioned earlier, and said there is really no reason in having a x64 processor unless I am going to utilize it with a x64 version of windows... I don't really know that I am utilizing it anyhow.