Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can see the problem in the horizon, it's close, very close.

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Got this today error today:

AWARD Bootblock BIOS v.1
Copyright © 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media....
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

today is about the second week after i live flashed my BIOS (Award BIOS v6.00PG rev.3.25 for motherboard MSI MS-6577) and everything seemed ok until today, i eventually got the machine to at least get this error, before when i pressed the power button, it "booted" for about 4-5sec and then rebooted, infinite reboot cycle, no image on the monitor. I cut the power supply for about an hour and then for the first time got this error, the screen was fuzzy and the PC rebooted after about 10sec of displaying the error message, when it rebooted it gave me the same error but this time the screen stayed put. Again i cut the power supply for another hour and finally the computer booted, but my BIOS settings were deleted (no big deal though) it's been working since (maybe 4 boots). I do not want to see this happen ever again, and will do all possible to prevent it, backups are done, if necessary to downgrade to last BIOS, then I'll do it. Just tell me what to do to not see it again. please.

-OCM770-

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
come on, please help.

-OCM770-

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This error can be caused by a bad stick of computer memory.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
more info on your operating system and your hardware specs...

have you added any hardware or software recently.....

Edited by happyrck, 11 November 2006 - 06:49 PM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Well, BIOS rom checksum errors are pre-OS, so that won't be an issue. I'd say RAM, bad video, or a dead cmos battery.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Well, BIOS rom checksum errors are pre-OS, so that won't be an issue. I'd say RAM, bad video, or a dead cmos battery.

yep ...and depending on the mobo ...resetting the bios with the jumpers...or removing the mobo battery

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
my specs are on my profile, so this means it was not my updating the BIOS?

It's a motherboard designed specifically for HP computers so finidng info on it on the net won't be easy. MSI Gamila/Giovani/Neon Series 030 MS-6577 v4.1

-OCM770-

P.S. by the way, nice changes on the site...

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
hp.com, once you figure out exactly how to pry info out of it, is very, very nice.

http://h10025.www1.h...;product=409988

Has your chipset drivers (original, you should grab updates from intel for those) as well as your BIOS update, sound drivers, and firmware updates for your optical drives.

Happy - yeah, for some reason I always forget about resestting the BIOS via jumpers, I'm more of a "take the battery out, power up for 10 sec, power down, battery in" person. Good catch.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
[quote name='Kurenai'
Happy - yeah, for some reason I always forget about resestting the BIOS via jumpers, I'm more of a "take the battery out, power up for 10 sec, power down, battery in" person. Good catch. [/quote]

this is why its always good to have " many eyes" looking at the problem...

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
All drivers are updated, i have them stored in my "drivers" folder. I hope i don't see this again, and probably just using the jumper will do, there might be a case where it will be necessary to remove the battery, i just hope that doesn't happens.

-OCM770-

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
burn your drivers folder to a cd...this will save time if you ever have to reinstall....hope for the best..prepare for the worst...

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
yeah, that is done, it's with my backup CD's. thanks for the help everyone :whistling:

-OCM770-

Edited by -OCM770-, 14 November 2006 - 03:40 PM.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hey KIDDO! I see you are back. Sorry to see that you got a start up error. The previous replys are on the mark, about not being the BIOS flash. In fact an updated BIOS tends to fix those problems. Make sure your RAMs are fully seated and clipped in. Driver updates help as well. The new HP site is much better(good updates NOW). I thought your board had a "clear cmos" jumper for resetting BIOS. Also make sure your wide cables from the floppy and hdd are snug. Then try deleting that CPUCOOL program if it's still in there. CPUCOOL does run some checks on start up that display errors. Let us know how things are going. I feel like I helped get you into this, so will do my best to watch you through it. If you need to clear cmos by disconnecting power and pulling the battery, push the power button, You will see an instant flash on your power LED, thus discharging capacitors. That will help clear the BIOS memory power. Unfortanantly the error is probably for real and there is something failing. (Clearing the BIOS might not change this) Backup while you can. Are you familiar with BIOS beep codes. (the little high pitched beeps when you turn on) they will signal you something like morse code (long and short beeps) If RAM fails they will signal it. Did you get a new RAM already? If so, lets consider looking at a conflict and see what you had,have, and got. Are you running anything overclocked at the moment? If I recall you had a single stick of 256mb PC3200 though your board is rated for PC1600 thru PC2700 the PC3200 is backwards compatible to run at your boards slightly slower speed. you had a very nice processor 2.6GHz 512 cache with a stick of 256mb RAM was kind of a mismatch. Pretty big dancer on a little dance floor. I hope you keep getting replies from others on this, the more input the better. Did you ever unplug anything? ie floppy from the floppy? :whistling:

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
If your cmos jumper is off(missing) or in wrong position it will clear BIOS everytime you kill the power.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
:whistling: You're to late crunch :blink: :help: . My computer blew up yesterday, i heard a loud noise, went downstairs and found my computer bursting in flames, everything fried.... :)

Nah!!! :rofl: just messing around with ya. Everything is fine, i already uninstall ed CPUCool and have not bought new RAM, two days ago (i believe) i heard one long beep at boot but didn't really pay much attention to it. what does it mean?

And i still see the same old compaq website...

-OCM770-