Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can see the problem in the horizon, it's close, very close.

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Over the last two years MSI hase made many corrections for the motherboard. Reason being. A good munufature (MSI) generally makes a good product. But a major customer (HP/Compaq) comes along and requests a super sized order of a low price product. So weather it's "Exide" made batteries for Walmart (cheap) or (Car Quest) expensive with higher specs. The manufacture will try to make a product to meet the price challenge. So they made your mobo especially for "HP" that's why it doesn't have stardard easy access MSI support. MSI never sold it in their own retail line. BUT being one of the top manufactures they are, have done a good job making download improvements for it and repairing many problems as they appear enough. In the form of driver updates, and BIOS update, etc. They offer them through HP mostly trying to distance themsleves from it. Some are just a fix and some are for problems when useing certain operating systems, or certain hardware. Go through and determine what ones pertain to your operating system and hardware, ie graphics, sound, cards, (I thought your's were "on board", but do get inprovements) pertaining to your OS. Also upgrades pertaining to your internet connection. Are U still on 56k dialup? I just upgraded to 1 meg, awsome downloading a song in 10 seconds, or movie in 30 minutes. ( that's just anther suggestion) DSL will really save you time. BIOS beeps very sometimes between motherboards, Popular beep codes are
1. one short beep when displaying logo > = No error,, all is well
2. long beep (usually repeats) >= No RAM installed or not detected, or RAM gone bad
3. One long beep followed by three short beeps >= videocard not found or video memory bad
4. High frequency beeps while working >= CPU overheat or System running at to low frequency

These are just few common codes, your's may vary, ought to confirm. Sounds like you had a RAM code. First, if you can, unclip both white clips on RAM then remove visual inspect and reinstall very securely in other slot be sure clips go in all the way, notice space oreintation on what I like to call the teeth. Do one thing at a time then test, Next Try updateing the onboard video graphics, with driver for XP OS for the HP link from above http://h10025.www1.h...;product=409988
copy and paste it in address bar of internet express if his link didn't open for you or use MSI, or I will find if you can't get one. There is two set aside memory spaces for your video, an unchangable and a small portion of your RAM can be set aside for graphics. You should try finding that in BIOS and increaseing to 32mb. Note to other readers, PLEASE comment to "OMC" to help explain graphics memory. I think if he set aside too much that he may have caused RAM error by shorting RAM for CPU, or else did not set aside enough and has error from graphics, needs to here it (beeps) again. I just got home from having titanium elbow piece put in (see my previous post on how to view MRIs ,that I stole from my doctor's office), am off work and can google for him but not up to daily support ability yet. His economy board originally came with very restricted BIOS and drivers but is getting improved on. I need to regoogle and find you some owners that think very highly of it. Also,you still need RAM, and if video, you can change to PCI vid card cheap, I even got some in parts bins. As long as it's working, have patients, there's good help here on geeks and you are learning. :whistling: Members , please jump in on this for OMC! This kid is not a quitter, but doesn't need mislead or conlicts without valid reasoning, PLEASE! If you fry the board, It's still fixable, Your most valuable piece is that nice CPU.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
thanks crunch but it's OCM no OMC, anyway the page is not available, although i already updated the following drivers/hardware:

-BIOS update for MS-6577 Motherboard rev v.3.25
-Realtek AC'97 Audio Driver update v.5.10.0.5730
-Intel Extreme Graphics driver update v.6.14.10.3943
-[have not installed this one but i have downloaded it] Samsung SW-252S 48X CD-RW Firmware Update v.R903.

Anything else i should update?

-OCM770-

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
that last one is only if you got a Samsung brand CD burner (unlikely) but if you do the best driver for it is not on the XP install Cd instead it's this one you have downloaded but not yet installed. If you don't have a Samsung, don't waste space storing a driver for it.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
ya did good snagging that graphics driver update, way to go!!!!

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I've been a mechanic for many years, OMC is "outboard marine corporation". The manufaturer of Johnson and Evinrude boat engines and Lawnboy mowers and tecumseh 2 stroke engines. I've spent thousands of dollars with OMC just used to the name, sorry. :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
That's the reason i downloaded the Samsung driver, because i have that same Samsung drive.

And don't be to hard on yourself, you did NOT cause this problem.

-OCM770-