Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft SUSE linux

• Please log in to reply

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just thought everyone would like to read this article on the microsoft/novell deal.

http://www.linuxjour...om/node/1000121

and a open source loudspeaker show

SRX660

Advertisements

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Here's the point. Microsoft is attempting to manipulate (read: control and/or extinquish) Linux. Its plan is to make Novell/SUSE the king of Linux within the next five years. Once that five years is completed and Novell/SUSE Linux is on top, Microsoft will be in a position to do just about anything it wants. It can eradicate Linux, sabotage it, or simply demand outrageous fees from Novell/SUSE for every copy sold. Who do you think will pay those fees? You, if you adopt Novell/SUSE products. And that money will simply funnel right to Microsoft. You might just as well give up on Linux right now and adopt Vista, if that's the road you want to take.

Thats really intersting way of looking at it. I haven't been much of a Novell or suse kinda guy. I leaned more toward the "real" linux flavors. Not the so much industrialized ones that look like a rip off of Windows.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,345 posts
And a new twist!

The potentially historic Microsoft-Novell pact announced last week, whereby Microsoft would grant patent peace to users of Novell's Suse Linux software in exchange for royalty payments paid by Novell to Microsoft, will be dead by mid-March, promises Eben Moglen, the general counsel of the Free Software Foundation (FSF). The FSF controls the license that governs the distribution of Linux and many other key forms of free and open-source software.

The license, known as the GNU General Public License (GPL), had already been in the process of revision. In an interview with me this morning, Moglen promised that the foundation will now make "further changes" to the GPL that will make crystal clear that the Novell-Microsoft pact, or any similar pact, will violate it.

http://money.cnn.com...lpad/index.html

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A microsoft merger could also be from a totally different tack, microsoft have been heavily diversifying maybe this is a start towards them moving towards a free OS and making there money from traditional software and hardware. Its a nice thought anyway.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

A microsoft merger could also be from a totally different tack, microsoft have been heavily diversifying maybe this is a start towards them moving towards a free OS and making there money from traditional software and hardware. Its a nice thought anyway.

:blink: Some how i don't see microsoft not wanting to make money .... :whistling: :help:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well they would still make money, alot of money and maintain an even larger share of the OS market, they would also be able to bring direct x to linux. They could recoup from not selling the OS itself easily the same way Novell and other linux distros make money, they sell support you have a problem they fix it straight away you need a custom feature they make it for you. The rest theoretically would come from software sales and advertisements which they have been expanding into much more.

Like i said its something they could do, they probably wont.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Well here is some more news about Microsoft. It almost seems that they were waiting to undermine all of linux distro's ....

READ ALL ABOUT IT !

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
"dominant Linux provider, Red Hat", since when? Suse by far isnt the most popular its like 3 or 4th, you cant sue every linux user just the same way linus torvalds cant sue every window user for MSs patent infringement.

Some people seem to be smokin too much of the wacky baccy, patent law in most places is pretty screwy especially for electronic products but i think they are starting to push the bounds of what people expect. It seems some people forget the major thing, they make a product for customers and if you are going to start hacking of your customers you need a reality check.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I hope this never extends to FreeBSD, I am about to install it, if this download would hurry up. It is going to be one of my Christmas projects.

Edited by Michael, 24 November 2006 - 05:39 AM.