Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio not working properly

• Please log in to reply

awk1203

awk1203

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
:blink: All of the sudden, my audio is not working. There is a message that says:

"the system does not have sound devices or sound devices did not installed properly"

XP Pro (2002) SP2
1 yr old computer

Please help. :whistling:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to this site
remember we are working blind so bare with us
to help others reply to your question
if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer, laptop or desktop
- what os, XPpro or home = xppro sp2
- how old is it = one year old

runbox command
- press buttons on keyboard: winkey + r button
- paste this to slot: devmgmt.msc
- press: enter
- see if there are yellow blobs on sound devices
(means missing drivers, and will have to look for them)

koukie

koukie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey buddy. check if the sound card is loose or not in the tower. Then if it's connected and not loose, then check if your volume configuration is set to the volume you want to. Because I have Sound Blaster so it's pretty easy to set up with no problem. It could be what sound card you have. Plus, there are slots in your computer where there is a master slot and just regular slots. I make sure that it's in the master slot where you can recieve the best results if your listening to music. :blink: Then again, your sound card could've been fried maybe? You just got to investigate, that's all. :whistling: Usually when I add a sound card to my computer it just configures and it's installed automatically. No CD's or anything like that. It should not have any problems. Because I have a 2000 XP computer and it works fine.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Koukie is right, in part, what if he does not have a sound card but integrated audio like Realtek AC'97 audio. first follow fleamailamn's suggestion and post back, if you are not using a sound card then ignore Koukie's suggestion unless you get a sound card. please post computer model and make, if you know then post your motherboard model and make, if you don't know then just post your machine's info. Thanks

-OCM770-

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I suppose that is why as a rule I always try to get the type, the os, and the age before I advise because that helps everyone to answer here, not just me

awk1203

awk1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi;

First of all thank you for your reply.

XP Pro 2002 SP 2
Sony Vaio
1yr old

I checked the device manager and there are a few items that has the yellow blobs:

Other devices
-mass storage controlers
-Modem device on high definition audio bus
-sm bus controler

System devices
-microsoft composite battery (there is a yellow exclamation point)

I think on the missing devices above, I am the one who erased it by mistake :blink: . I checked the device manager before when the other devices were fine and still the audio would not work :whistling: .

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
do you have a cd of installation that came with the vaio, if not you can download the drivers from Sony's site using the model type, also once you are sure that you have the right drivers(not just for sound but the other yellow blobs too) in the device manager(devmgmt.msc) just right hand click the driver, choose uninstall, choose search for new material, and if prompted browse to drivers that you have downloaded to install

any problem just post back

Edited by fleamailman, 11 November 2006 - 07:46 PM.

awk1203

awk1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
hello again;

I have installed all the drivers necessary from Sony.com but still the same problem persists. I was looking into the device manager and i believe that drivers from different operating systems were also installed (Windows NET). Do you think that;s the reason of the problem??

Sounds and devices:
-Audio codec (?)
-Legacy auto drives (?)
-Legacy videocapture devices (?)
-Media control devices (?)
-Sigma tel high definition Audio CODEC (From Sony)
-Video Codecs(?)

Other Devices: (Is this supposed to be in the Device Manager?)
-Mass storage controller
(there were few other ones but they disappeared after i installed the drivers) :whistling:

Edited by awk1203, 11 November 2006 - 11:52 PM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If you let us know the exact model of your Vaio, we can probably point you in the right direction, driver-wise.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, I would just like to rule out other possibilities, nothing important but makes me feel better knowing:

runbox command
- paste: mmsys.cpl
- click: advanced
- see if your settings are for your configuration.

runbox command
- paste: sndvol32.exe
- check to see if none have turned down or muted

awk1203

awk1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thank YOu for your responses but while asleep a friend of mine resolved our problem. :blink:

I guess I see you next time.
Thank you once again. :whistling:

Edited by awk1203, 12 November 2006 - 09:20 AM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
It's not necessary, but if you can, tell us what he did please.

-OCM770-