Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Illiteracy

• Please log in to reply

Ntaclue07

Ntaclue07

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My comp started do a clicking noise and would crash. I didn't know what it was, I asked some friends but they couldn't help. I restarted my comp and it stopped long enough to run my disk clean-up and defrag as well as spy sweeper and virus scans. It did not do this clicking every time I got on. But when it did I would run my diagnostics again. I cannot tell if it actually helped. No one I talked too knew either. Then my computer started crashing, and I would get the blue screen that says windows has been shut down to prevent damage to my computer. This has happened several times with different results. I am totally illiterate when it comes to fixing or even understanding problems with the comp. one of the ones that came up, said " Window-Delayed write failed window unable to save all the data for the file." and then said to try restarting your computer which I did. Blue screen #2 said, " 1Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\system32\CONFIG\SysEvent.EVT". Then it said try restarting you comp. I did. The next day I got window that popped up and said, " C:\Documents and Settings\Ntaclue07 Desktop" it had an OK box so I clicked it and It says "it refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted or that you are connected to the internet and then try again. If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location." Well I had not tried to locate anything. I have no idea why this bubble popped up. I restarted my computer within a few minutes I got the blue screen again, this time it said" Disable or uninstall any anit-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart you computer. I did. Now I am here hoping you maybe able to help. I am hoping I get all this info in before it crashes again. I have run my diagnostic at least 1 every 2 weeks for a long time. I haven't a clue what the problem may be. Please help!

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to this site
remember we are working blind so bare with us
to help others reply to your question
if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

to topic then
bad news, that is the famous tick of death meaning that the disk of the harddrive is going out of sync and will work less and less, the only thing to do now is the back up all your stuff while you still can, don't run anymore scans as you are racing the clock to retrieve your data

Edited by fleamailman, 10 November 2006 - 08:03 PM.

c7ng23

c7ng23

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
I have a windows XP 2002 service pack 2 professional.

I am at a school where they only allow internet access if they can verify you have anti-virus software through windows security center. I do not have windows security center so I am unable to go online. I was wondering is there a way to download windows security center, or fool the people who check that I have it into thinking that I do?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
rule of thumb, always start you own thread about a problem, otherwise the response blurs,

the XP security centre is the panel featured on sp2 (service pack 2)
first one must install service pack 2 which come as an ms update
once the SP2 update is done, the security centre will be there

http://www.microsoft...2_wscintro.mspx