Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot Problems , Data recovery

• Please log in to reply

awan111

awan111

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Guys,

I had a problem with my dell laptop
I was seeing a black screen on my laptop and the error was
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system"
"You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select'r' at the first screen to start repair "
I have tried to boot in the safe mode by pressing f8 but after some work it says again the same above stated message.

Now, i put in windows XP CD ( Borrowed froma friend ) and let it boot from the CD.

It satarts and say " press any key to boot from cd " and then couple of messages loading drivers and so forth. It stops and flashes this error

" mountmgr.sys is corrupted" , press any key to restart

I am not very expert in windows installation , so i would need directions to get thru it and recover the data

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Mount point manager driver: Mountmgr.sys

A binary that tracks drive letters, folder mount paths and other mount points for volumes. Assigns a unique volume mount point of the form \??\Volume<GUID> to each volume, in addition to any drive letters or folder paths that have been assigned by the user. Ensures that a volume will get the same drive letter each time the computer boots, and also tries to retain a volume’s drive letter when the volume’s disk is moved to a new computer.

Basic disk I/O driver: Ftdisk.sys

A driver that manages all I/O for basic disks. Other system components, such as mount point manager, call into this driver to get information about basic disk volumes.

So what this looks like is that your Hard drive has lost the mount point information that tells the computer where to look for the operating system. This could be caused by misaligned heads in the HD. There are other reasons but the bottom line here is if you cannot get the hard drive utilities to get the drive working it needs replacing. I would look to see if the HD manufacturer has any utilities that can write all "0"s to the drive so you can format the drive when you try installing with a XP CD. If that does not work, replace the drive.

Another tech had a idea that fixing the master boot record could solve the problem and i agree with him. It cannot hurt to try although i think it will not help if the HD is damaged. Heres how to do this.

Boot with the XP installation CD.

When prompted, press R to repair a Windows XP installation.

Select the operating system to highlight it in blue( it should already be highlighted).

Enter the administrator password if prompted.

To fix the MBR, Type in the following command:

fixmbr

This assumes that your installation is on the C:\ drive. You will be presented with several scary warning lines the reading of which will make you want to say no. Microsoft is exceptionally vague regarding the conditions under which fixmbr can cause problems although they are clear about the consequences (losing all data on the hard drive), so use this at your own risk.

Type y and hit the enter key to fix the MBR.

Type exit to leave the recovery console and reboot.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 11 November 2006 - 06:57 AM.