Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

End now......

• Please log in to reply

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
When I shut down i keep getting an end now dialog box for windows explorer.exe & also for "thor main window" :blink: & i have to sit there and wait for each one to pop up so i can click "end now", when i used to be able to just press "shut down" & the computer would do just that "shut down".

this is a small but nagging problem that i wish would go away. :whistling:
thanks
daffy_elmo

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start with this

Click Start, click Run, and type regedit then press enter.

Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control.

Click the Control folder.

Right click "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" and click Modify.

Set the value to 5000

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
done.

should i try shutting down my computer to see if it worked, or is there something eles i need to do first?

daffy_elmo

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try it now

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
na didn't work!

daffy_elmo

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Tune Up Trial, click the yellow desktop icon, click system control, click start and maintenance, click exit, put the dot in close programmes automatically, click apply

The link and other things to run are here

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I downloaded tuneup, but the programs in the "Optimization" catagory don't seem to work on my computer. Whenever I try to use one of them it just says "error 0x0000???? - the memory could not be written. click cancel to debug.", where the ???? are the numbers that seem to be different each time.

The rest of the programs worked though & it seems to have made a difference as sometimes when I shut down i only get an end now dialog box for "THOR MAIN WINDOW".

is there anything else i can try??

thanks
daffy_elmo

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get the error with exit / close programmes automatically

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Another one of the never-ending unfixed errors with Windows. I've had the same problem before, where literally every process running required me to click End Now before the system shut down. I ended up just doing an XP Reinstallation to fix it.

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Do you get the error with exit / close programmes automatically

I don't know, & i can't even start tune up now (ijust tried) it says reinstalling will probably fix it but the install program has stoped working now too.

what's happening to my computer HEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!?!!?!?!!!

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I would predict malware is causing the majority, if not all of your problems. Try running a HiJack This (google it) and post a thread in the Malware section of the HiJack This log.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got Office with the text and speech installed / running

Basically it's part of the Office Xp/2000 alternate use inputs so if you loaded speech or handwriting recognition options, it's there.

Thor's Hammer is made by triCerat Software and is part of the Windows Terminal Server and Citrix MetaFrame systems. It is associated with and loaded with Ctfmon.exe from Citrix Systems, Inc

Ctfmon.exe monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.

Thor's Hammer is the code that stores all elements in a self-replicating database called desktop2001 code named "Thor’s Hammer."

For example, if a virus attempts to run an executable it will fail. In addition, programs that users download from the Internet or receive by e-mail will fail unless they have explicit permission.

So it's actually not a bad thing.

However if you want to remove it see here

http://support.micro...&NoWebContent=1

For info on the software developer
http://www.tricerat.com/

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum