Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

PFN file corrupt

• Please log in to reply

inept

inept

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I hope someone can tell me what a pfn file is, and what to do if it's corrupt. I got a blue screen tonight with this error and I haven't a clue what it is. I have Pentium D dual core processor with 1 gig of ram. My mother board is an Asus socket 775 SLI, an Gforce 7800gt video card and Sound blaster audio. I've got 600 gigs of hard drives in a raid setup. The pc is 4 mos. old. I have a Maxtor One touch external drive I installed a month ago, and I've just started using firefox browser with thunderbird e-mail. Those were installed in the past three weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement

inept

inept

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried doing sfc /scannow as suggested in another site and it seemed to do some repairs, however it's now starting to reboot on it's own. It said windows had a stop error and shut down. The Microsoft site said this could be from software drivers. I know a bit about pc's but this is beyond me. Any advice as to how to track down a bad driver?

Also, I tried to do a repair install as advised in another thread. I loaded my xp pro cd and rebooted as instructed. The press any key to boot from cd screen came up, I pressed, but the setup screen didn't show up. My pc booted like normal. I tried to do this twice with the same results.

I'm at a loss what to do next. Someone please help me!

Edited by inept, 12 November 2006 - 09:17 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what error code you get

you should get a stop error code

http://support.micro...=315335&sd=RMVP -------0x0000008e

http://support.micro...=894278&sd=RMVP -------0x00000050

get any of those

inept

inept

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is from my error log.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 0000000c, parameter2 0000001c, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804fc1b9.

Also:
The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.

Thanks soooo much for any help!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://support.micro.../?kbid=282504& ....stop 0x0000001A

Edited by rushin1nd, 12 November 2006 - 09:24 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q314063 .....Stop 0x0000000A

What all of your errors have in common is that they indicate an intermiitent hardware issue: either a physical failing or a driver problem. Take 0x0a for example, your most common error:

Possible Resolutions:

A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

If you encounter a Stop 0xA message while upgrading to Windows XP, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.

Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A Error in Windows XP
http://www.support.m....;en-us;Q314063

These resolution measures would encompass all of your error messages.

I would also test RAM, because I agree with mattman that heat could well be the source of the problem. Here is a decent RAM tester that runs under XP rather than requiring a floppy boot: http://www.hcidesign.com/memtest/

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
BugCheck 1000000A, {16, 2, 0, 804e469a}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for cmdmon.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for cmdmon.sys
Probably caused by : cmdmon.sys ( cmdmon+7a8 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

kd> !analyze -v

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000016, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: 804e469a, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:
------------------

READ_ADDRESS: 00000016

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

FAULTING_IP:
nt!KeSetEvent+30
804e469a 66394616 cmp [esi+0x16],ax

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 3

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from f4a66f89 to 804e469a

STACK_TEXT:
f7bc1ce0 f4a66f89 821ddd94 00000000 00000000 nt!KeSetEvent+0x30
f7bc1d04 f4a670bd 81fd46d0 c000023a 00000000 tcpip!TCPDataRequestComplete+0x93
f7bc1d34 f4a4323d 81fd46d0 821dddac 81fd4780 tcpip!TCPSendData+0xa6
f7bc1d50 804e37f7 82376030 81fd46d0 81fd47a4 tcpip!TCPDispatchInternalDeviceControl+0x51
f7bc1d60 f87567a8 f875f1d0 82101e4c 82101e4c nt!IopfCallDriver+0x31
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
f7bc1d74 f875bee1 82376030 81fd46d0 00000000 cmdmon+0x7a8
f7bc1dac 8057be15 00000000 00000000 00000000 cmdmon+0x5ee1
f7bc1ddc 804fa4da f875b904 00000000 00000000 nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x34
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 nt!KiThreadStartup+0x16

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
cmdmon+7a8
f87567a8 ??

FAULTING_SOURCE_CODE:

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 5

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

SYMBOL_NAME: cmdmon+7a8

MODULE_NAME: cmdmon

IMAGE_NAME: cmdmon.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 449a3523

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xA_cmdmon+7a8

BUCKET_ID: 0xA_cmdmon+7a8

I replaced ram, hard drive and video card before finding it was this. After a clean os install the Bsods started again after installing comodo firewall. Just wanted to update since my original post i have checked with my friends that i showed comodo to and are using it. They have not encountered any relevant issues. Since removing cmdmon.sys i have had no bsod's but am no longer able to use the firewall obviosly. If there is any other hardware info i can post that would help with diagnosis Please let me know. I believe this could be such a great program. I was so happy to see all the development work you have done in this version. I really hope this issue can be resolved.

hope this one is more helpful

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you do or add any changes lately

anything all to cause this error

even zone alarm can give this type of error

http://forums.zonela...essage.id=13997

inept

inept

• Pip
  • 5 posts
That's what I'm thinking the problem really may be. I'm running the memtest right now, (Thank you for that Rush!) I just bought an Ipod and installed the iTunes software. In going over the error log I see there seems to be some trouble there.

This is what I got:

Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\EXEInstallPlugi n.dll.Manifest" on line 2. The required attribute version is missing from element assemblyIdentity.
Saturday, November 11, 2006 SideBySide Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\EXEInstallPlugi n.dll.Manifest" on line 2.
Saturday, November 11, 2006 SideBySide Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\EXEInstallPlugi n.dll.Manifest. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully. .
Saturday, November 11, 2006 SideBySide Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\MSIInstallPlugi n.dll.Manifest" on line 2. The required attribute version is missing from element assemblyIdentity.
Saturday, November 11, 2006 SideBySide Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\MSIInstallPlugi n.dll.Manifest" on line 2.
Saturday, November 11, 2006 SideBySide Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\MSIInstallPlugi n.dll.Manifest. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully. .

I'm checking the ipod site now for known issues.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

That's what I'm thinking the problem really may be. I'm running the memtest right now, (Thank you for that Rush!) I just bought an Ipod and installed the iTunes software. In going over the error log I see there seems to be some trouble there.

This is what I got:

Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\EXEInstallPlugi n.dll.Manifest" on line 2. The required attribute version is missing from element assemblyIdentity.

I'm checking the ipod site now for known issues.

missing element ...wonder if thats it...

have you tried to uninstall ipod for the time being to see if stop errors go away

no sense causing unneccessary damage to harddrive and mother board

inept

inept

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I seem to have got things fixed. (crossing fingers and burning a floppy to the PC Gods)

I went in and increased my irp stack size from 1 to 15....sofar all is good and no errors from that.

For the pfn list corrupt: The last three software installs were iTunes, Firefox, and Thunderbird. I uninstalled one at a time and it seems to be Thunderbird and iTunes that were causing the problem. I scraped the Thunderbird, (though it sucks 'cuz I really like it) and found a fix for the iTunes issue that seems to work. At least nothing has come up when I loaded it this morning as I charged my ipod .

Here a link to the hotfix from microsoft

http://support.micro...kb/920872/en-us

Thank you Rush for working with me on this...

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured