Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

temp system lockup

• Please log in to reply

Ruff_Rider

Ruff_Rider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
That's ok, I think I have reached the end of my rope (patience actually:-), but I am really thankful for all your help. I tried to read the three forum sections you suggested but only could find the first. Anyway I believe that Ad_Aware has found about ten or so remnants of that nasty old virus Win32.Swen and also from the SahAgent (data miner). So, would I render my op-sys unoperable if I went into the registry and removed those keys identified as threats by Ad-Aware in the log. Also I could eliminate the SahAgent and Alexa keys from the registry (but sorta like some reassurance that doing so would not put me completely out of commission. I have already removed the three suspects of Possible Browser Hijack from my "Favorites" folder - no prob there.

Lastly, I have downloaded latest version of Mozilla Foxfire (browser) and have started using that in place of IEv6. No I haven't totally dumped IEv6, but have held on to it while I test drive FoxFire for a few days. So far it has not gone to sleep like IEv6 does each time I exit Yahoo-Mail.

Again, yes I would sorta like to get Ad-Aware to run to normal EOJ, so that I could act on the list of no-no's it finds, but in lieu of all that, what about me going into the registry, deleting the bad keys identified in the Ad-Aware log, etc... and just doing the best I can with that, then either live with it like it is now, using FoxFire as browser to access Yahoo-Mail,,,,, or as a last ditch plan, update Win98SE with WinXP.

Thank you,

Ruff_Rider

PS: I will be off the radar screen for a few hours, gotta go play my guitar for the folks at the senior center - civic minded, aint I :-)

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

So, would I render my op-sys unoperable if I went into the registry and removed those keys identified as threats by Ad-Aware in the log. Also I could eliminate the SahAgent and Alexa keys from the registry (but sorta like some reassurance that doing so would not put me completely out of commission.

I'm going to send someone over with fresh eyes to answer that question.

Lastly, I have downloaded latest version of Mozilla Foxfire (browser) and have started using that in place of IEv6. No I haven't totally dumped IEv6, but have held on to it while I test drive FoxFire for a few days. So far it has not gone to sleep like IEv6 does each time I exit Yahoo-Mail.

You need to keep IE to download windows updates. I use mozilla and I love it.

You did ask about upgrading to XP. The set of fresh eyes should be able to answer that also.

I probably already asked you to do this: but if I haven't, you might try this (it's easy)

Download the free VX2 Cleaner here[list]
Close Ad-Aware SE build 1.05 and Ad-Watch (if running)
Install the VX2 Cleaner
Start Ad-Aware SE build 1.05
Go to “Plug-ins”
Select the VX2 Cleaner plug-in and click “Run Plugin”
If your computer isn't infected, click "close"
If your computer is infected:[list]
Select “Clean System”
Reboot your computer
Scan your computer with Ad-Aware
Remove any VX2 objects detected
Reboot your computer again
Run a second scan to make sure the files have been removed from your computer

I will see if Efwis can come over and check on you. You do have a lot of patience. You're a good egg for performing your civic duty. :tazz:

Ruff_Rider

Ruff_Rider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK, I am back from the Opera. I read your latest post, thanks. I downloaded the vx2 cleaner, installed it and ran Ad-Aware add-on for the vx2cleaner. It reported: STATUS: System Clean

so guess thats a good sign :-)

Ruff_Rider

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I'm going to transfer you over to Windows 2000/xp so you can receive some input on upgrading. Please reply to this post by stating what you would like to do. That way those guys don't have to cull through everything.

You appear to still have a little bit of malware but with adware freezing and us trying all the remedies, I'm really out of ideas.

Good luck.