Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Rebooting Windows xp

• Please log in to reply

?????

?????

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
hi i was just wondering if u could tell me how u reboot ur computer with the windows xp disk .. when i put it in and go to install windows xp it comes up ok details and something else but cant click on ok and when i go to details it doesnt tell me much ... so is there a way i can reboot it from when i start up my computer or that .. it says i have a newer version of widnows xp but i have a virus and want to put it to the disk i have so how do i go about doing that

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
with the infections you have it would be a lot easier to let security do its magic here link below
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

because of these reason:
- you don't seem to have the right cd
- you would still need to gather the driver and install them too
- you would need to reinstall all you data(personal files, music, et)
- you would need to have the cds of the programs like word
so all in all if you get no joy with the link given do the reinstall but while there there is hope try the link

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
or you could format the drive so the windows install cd does not see the old windows install....then just proceed with the install...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
why not do both

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

why not do both

with a new install of windows there are NO malware ...just pristine copy of windows...= no need for malware forum

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
true, but then if security gives the comp a clean bill of health, one hasn't got to go through the preparation\ formatting\ reinstalling\loading back; besides, he seems to be loading something which is not as good as what he has already, what has he got to lose by having it checked at security here, I believe they do a good job

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i may get killed and drug out into the street...but i'm with flea....the format/reinstall should be the last resort....the malware guys/gals are EXTREMELY good at what they do...and can probably get you sorted out without having to go through the trouble of format reinstall... i'd give the malware forum a go first...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I spent 12 hrs yesterday cleaning up a laptop...and at the end of the day...when I could not get the speed back up where it should be with the hardware it had ..I ran a rootkit detector and sure enough it had one...In all my reading the ONLY sure way to get rid of one is a reinstall...so I may be a little jaded at this point in time...that was a wasted 12 hours that I could have formated and reinstalled in 3 hrs with SP2 and all the patches...

BTW...we don't "drag into the street" or even wound those who jump in late in the thread with opinions ...but I'm not past leaving a "tainted banana" lying around :whistling:

Edited by happyrck, 12 November 2006 - 03:50 AM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Yeah, I'm with Happy. If there's no real important data, pull back and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks dsenette,

I would just give the HJT log to security and ask them if this is a hard or easy one, then choose the easier of the two options, and I am in agreement that the best thing would be to make a restore disk with a backup program, a lot depends on how many are not natrual xp drivers, how much data is to be backed up and does one have spare copies of programs to reinstall, eitherway not to have a backup is bad but to save/reformat/reinstall/load for each and every malware attack....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I only told him how to do it because he was already trying to do it...and yes if they are not severely infected its easy to clean them up and I would not reinstall the OS...

this tool makes a clean install easy for anyone not already fimiliar with it...

Simple tool for backup hardware drivers' files. DriverBackup! preserves drivers of your hardware peripherals from injury of time,saving important files into a specified directory.So you can use these files to reinstall your perip. without CDs or Floppys

http://sourceforge.n...ojects/drvback/

Edited by happyrck, 12 November 2006 - 09:54 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks happyrck, that is a good link as I had been using drivermagician which isn't free so I am glad you posted