Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incomplete Defragment

• Please log in to reply

clairest

clairest

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Howdy,
I've been trying to clean up this computer. It's a Dell Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 (1.8 GHz) and 768 MB RAM with a 40GB hard drive that has just under 8 GB free. It's running Windows XP with service pack 2 installed.
Now, my issue is defragment gets to 18% complete and says it's compacting files, then it says it's done. If I hit Analyze after the defrag "completes", it says the volume should be defragmented. I have run defrag 3 times in 24 hours and it still wants me to run it again.
Issue 2, the defrag report lists a severely fragmented 3GB temporary internet file that I can't find to delete.

Here's the report:
Volume (C:)
Volume size = 37.21 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 29.40 GB
Free space = 7.82 GB
Percent free space = 21 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 14 %
File fragmentation = 26 %
Free space fragmentation = 3 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 87,333
Average file size = 447 KB
Total fragmented files = 118
Total excess fragments = 63,117
Average fragments per file = 1.72

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.12 GB
Total fragments = 295

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 10,160
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 182 MB
MFT record count = 98,108
Percent MFT in use = 52 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
135 8 MB \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Restore\rstrlog.dat
139 9 MB \Program Files\Photodex Presenter\pxplay.exe
148 9 MB \WINDOWS\Installer\c6ab6.msi
150 9 MB \WINDOWS\Installer\40ec64.msi
175 12 MB \Program Files\QuickTime(2)\QTSystem(2)\QuickTime.qts
213 13 MB \Documents and Settings\Claire\Local Settings\Temp\~WRS2479.tmp
231 14 MB \Documents and Settings\Claire\Local Settings\Temp\~WRS0001.tmp
236 15 MB \Documents and Settings\Claire\Local Settings\Temp\~WRS0000.tmp
230 15 MB \WINDOWS\LPT$VPN.791
230 15 MB \WINDOWS\AU_Temp\3\4\lpt$vpn.791
230 15 MB \WINDOWS\VPTNFILE.791
195 15 MB \WINDOWS\Installer\2e3c03a.msp
237 26 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{31414675-6CBE-4639-8F67-8C2E395D7683}\RP283\snapshot\_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
245 26 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{31414675-6CBE-4639-8F67-8C2E395D7683}\RP285\snapshot\_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
133 26 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{31414675-6CBE-4639-8F67-8C2E395D7683}\RP289\snapshot\_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
258 31 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\organize\organize\ninkaren
579 38 MB \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC-2005.1.2.20-2005-09-03-16-28-08-234.dmp
586 40 MB \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC-2005.1.2.20-2005-05-28-11-02-07-218.dmp
137 41 MB \WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations\{C32B8844-F60D-430F-8B25-FDE3F90944C5}\iPod for Windows 2005-10-12.msi
129 41 MB \Documents and Settings\Claire\My Documents\Adobe\Photoshop\ps projects\dress.psd
131 63 MB \Documents and Settings\Claire\My Documents\My Photos\2006\backed up IOMEGA\Claire scan004.tif
261 65 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\organize\organize\richwe
725 70 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\organize\organize\clairenw
480 76 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\organize\organize\martistw
1,555 112 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton Internet Security\URLLists
268 119 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\backup\richwe
1,134 127 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\organize\clairenw
1,089 140 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\organize\richwe
2,096 256 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\storage\cache.db
48,615 2.94 GB \Documents and Settings\Claire\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\J635X420\0,,json,00[1].js

I go to my Temp Internet File following that path listed, and I turn on show hidden files including protected operating system files, and I can't see that file. I search for J635X420 in all files and folders and can't find it.

Any help freeing up space and getting this hard drive in better shape is appreciated!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, network and internet, internet options

Click advanced, tick do not save encrypted pages to disc, tick empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply

On the general tab, click delete files, include offline content, click settings, set the disc space to 250MB, click apply, click OK

Delete cookies, clear history

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Try disc defragmenter

If it hasn't improved, download Power Defragmenter GUI 2.0.125 to a folder you create

http://www.excessive-software.eu.tt/

Download Contig v1.53 to the same folder

http://www.microsoft...ies/Contig.mspx

Click the Power Defrag icon and run power defrag mode, when complete it will give its report, you can close it then

This will help in general, though the check disc will take a couple of hours, so run that part when you do not need the PC for a while

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

clairest

clairest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the help. I'll get started. It's interesting that the Temp Internet File folder was set at 128MB, so I don't know how I got a 3GB file in there, if it is really there... or is it malicious and hiding from me?
Anyhow, I'll go through these instructions to begin and hope the evil file goes away, never to return.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This would be the next bit, the temp setting can stay at 128MB, as long as it wasn't set at a larger than needed percentage of the drive

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum