Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hardware related?

• Please log in to reply

Joe Loftus

Joe Loftus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

Currently I am running a Althlon 64 3200+ , 2G 3200 DDR, and a Gforce 6800XT 256MB that is running XP MCE. Also, I have a 400W PSU with one optical drive and two case fans. Now, when I orignally installed MCE, everything was running smoothly, up until recently, when my computer will just randomly restarts. Usually when I am running certain programs, Firefox 2.0 for example, and the Ciy of Heroes game client. I first though it may have been some sort of heat issue, so I purchased a new cpu fan, but I still have the same problem.Then I tried swapping both sets of RAM chips, but to no avail. Now, last night and the night before I left the entire computer running, and it never restarted while I was running IE7. But, as soon as I started to run the CoH Client for about 20 minutes, *bam*. And sometimes what may happen is I will not be able to restart the computer for a few minutes, but usually it will just restart on its own. Is it at all possible that it is a PSU related issue, by it drawing a bit too much power, thus it restarting when I am trying to start up programs that require a bit more power? Or maybe that all my RAM chips or my RAM slots are bad? My only other problem is that the sticks of ram that I have now are the only sticks that I have so I really can't check if it is all of them. Also, is there some sort of diagnostic program when I could check?

I thank you in advance.

Advertisements

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You may want to check your temperatures with a program like Motherboard Monitor or something along those lines. (http://mbm.livewiredev.com)

Since you talk about it not booting up for several minutes I wonder if that could be an issue with the power supply, the other more experienced members would know more. But I think the computer would atleast start booting up then shut back down even if it was too hot. I may be wrong though.

Maybe one or more of the power supply connections is loose? Even if the power supply was getting overloaded.. I still don't think that would make it shut down for a few minutes.. Also, if it were the RAM, I woudl think you'd get plenty of blue screens and error messages :whistling:

Just throwing out thoughts until someone more experiecned answers.

Edited by ADNoland, 11 November 2006 - 04:28 PM.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
that definately sounds like either a heat prob, a mobo problem or a dying psu, download a program called speed fan run it for 1-5 hrs take a screenshot every hour or so and post the results, so we can better diagnose your problem.

Joe Loftus

Joe Loftus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
One more thing that happens. When I unplug the adapter from the PSU and try to turn it back on, I don't get a signal right away. Sometimes it takes a few minutes,

Joe Loftus

Joe Loftus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, I am running the speedfan program, and according to it, my LM75 Chip is overheating. I'm not entirely sure of what that is though.. here is a screencap of the program.

Posted Image

here is anohter about an hour later

Posted Image

10:42 EST

Posted Image

Ok, I don't know why it is showing 0 RPM for the second (CPU) fan, when it is obviously spinning becuase I can see it spinning, and by juding from the same CPU temps.

Edited by Joe Loftus, 11 November 2006 - 10:53 PM.