Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Total Windows Crashes Persist

• Please log in to reply

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here - let me start fresh:
Two months ago, I got a computer from a friend of a friend of a friend. The second-Gen friend is not around to help with the problems I've had, nor is the former owner (whom I've never met.)..

These are the facts:
OEM
Intel ®
Pentium4 CPU
1,40 GHz
512MB RAM

NVIDIA Display Driver 41.38MB
Realtek AC'97 40.91MB
(those are the two biggest Drivers listed now, in ADD /REMOVE)

Okay, I'm exactly 14- weeks- old as a computer user now, and after a magnificently hellacious time with Malware the first month+ (near 3,000 Infections at the height of it), I was forced to learn a lot fast , unfortunately this was before I caught on to Share-info sites like this.
Enough about me.

What about this poor dumb PC that has averaged about six total system shut-downs --per a week -- since the day I turned it on. :whistling:
It usually occurs when I'm on e-mail, just about to send, or right after closing a window. This may a be a coincidence.
Or does is have to do with overheating?
Yesterday, my CD-ROM drive broke down mysteriously, and I can't get it to turn on again.
Anyhow, hope there's someone out there who's versed in this stuff, because the MS Crash Analysis's have been worthless of late (or to date).
:blink:
Good luck on giving me an answer, this is getting exceedingly bothersome for me, if not all crippeling as the
triple-mega-Malware issues.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How did you go about removing the malware?

Have you updated the video drivers

Video drivers would more likely cause a reboot

Temperatures would more likely cause the PC to go off and stay off until it cooled down

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Keith,
The Malware is apparently off thanks to a combination of Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Spyware Doctor (not "System Doctor" !), and prayer. Seriously, SW Dr. came through on their claim to Remove some of the worst Trojans and Worms out there now.

The unexpected, uninvited Rebooting, are of varied length. I'd say 15-20% take longer than ten minutes to go back to normal. Mostly, I can get it back in 5-8min.

The Video Driver thing is a mystery to me. I could have sworn I Installed an update for it, at MS's advice, through the Realtek download site, but that might have been Audio for all I know.

If you could give me the gist of what they are, what they do, why I need them, it would help me out a lot!

Is there a way to get this problem fixed without forking over too much money to get a VD fix/ repair? --if, i.e., that's what's needed?

Thank you for the speedy response!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is to check which video drivers you need, you should also find the summary information of use

Post back what it finds

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

With drivers, get them from the manufacturer's site as they will have the latest ones

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Field Value
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 (64 MB)

So, there it is. Guess I'll proceed to step 2 now , and visit the NVIDIA site, then post back when I get near the bottom of this.

Thanks for all the assistance so far!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check on the site to see if the drivers you use should be uninstalled first with add and remove, if so, download and save the new ones first

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Oh, hey, I have<http://www.nvidia.co..._2k_93.71.html> on the other Tab. Should I download this first, or try to Uninstall something, and where do I find out about that?

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
* Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

[what does this mean? ]

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, click control panel, click add and remove, look for the Nvidia entries and click remove, you should then need to restart the PC

That's why you would need to download and save the new ones before removing the existing ones

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
AARG, I hate Dial-up! The Download is currently at 17%.
Don't expect me to post back in the next 2 hours!

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Alright!
New Nvidia Drivers are on. After several false starts, I think it's all on there as it's supposed to be. We'll see.
If there's the Rebooting problem still, I'll surely write back at this post.

:whistling: Very clear helpful advice , Keith.
Ta.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well